• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Strange oil leak

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
A few months ago I got the motor in the 'cow started and was checking for leaks (water-exhaust-etc.) and as it warmed up I noticed a little puff of smoke from the pass. side header area. Went to investigate and couldn't find anything. Then a few moments later...puff. Spent several minutes trying to find something after it cooled and couldn't. Finally I came across what seems to be oil coming out of the exhaust port, through the gasket ?:? .
I spoke with my brother about this and we decided it must be the exhaust valve stem seal leaking. It has been sitting on an engine stand for about 6+ months. Does this seem logical?
The motor was rebuild just a few years ago and has only about 6000 miles on it.
If this is the issue, what is involved with replacing the seal? Is it just a seal or do I have to do the seats also? Can I do this with the heads installed and an air compressor and chuck thingy?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Alan

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I go for valve cover gasket. Runs down the side of the head. Nice and clean on the header because it burns off.

With only 5000 miles, you may not even have a good buildup of crud to chase it up to the valve cover yet.

Paco

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
Broncobowsher said:
I go for valve cover gasket.

I second that. I have a gasket that needs replacing. We were out 4-wheeling Sunday and on some pretty steep climbs I was getting the same puffs of smoke. When I checked, I had some oil coming out the back of the valve covers, dripping on the headers. I snugged them down and that helped. Now I just need to replace that gasket.