• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Strange Engine Noise/Creamy Looking Oil

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll pile on with the thought it could just be condensation if the engine isn't run hot enough, and the oil in the pan looks good. Common in cold, humid weather.

If it's getting in the air cleaner the engine has excess blow-by (bad rings), or the PCV system is plugged, has a stuck valve or isn't plumbed correctly.

yup..but we are leaning toward the conclusion that the OP was clueless as to how the entire PCV system works and is supposed to be plumbed. IF..big 'if' at this point... he was actually simply routing/adding the crankcase vent air line to the air cleaner, then only one conclusion can be drawn: The engine is so completely toasted that the blowby exceeds what the PCV system can draw down, causing back-flow/blowback through the vent line. A healthy engine only has air going IN to the vent/supply line from the air cleaner..not out of it.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OOgyrhead speak with wise toungue, change the oil, drive it and does it get milky again within a day or two? If not, drive it for 15-20 minutes when it's old out, only way to get moisture out of oil is to heat up the oil. If it returns, you have other issues maybe.

OP
OP
G

gslack

Loc.
Colorado Springs
well i noticed it at first on my dipstick when i went to check my oil level, and i thought it was odd and could be from a blown head gasket or something. my exhaust looks perfectly fine, as in no visible exhaust when its not cold lol. but anyways when i went to get a new air cleaner at pep boys i took off the top and there was the "Baby chit" all around where i stuck the "crank case air line to the air cleaner"on the after market air cleaner and so i cleaned it all up and then drained the thing and it was fine. it was not like that before it snowed might i add. so i am not sure what is going on, as i said, and there is already a lot of nasty stuff close to that specific area on the new air cleaner insert...

KennyB

Loc.
Simi Valley
I had an Original air cleaner on my '75, and it would get all kinds of everything in it. Run through the Salinas River, and water splashin in it, oil burpin up from the emissions system.... The way I deal with this stuff? Clean the Filter, Change n flush the oil, then pay attention. fire it up, poop the radiator cap, hang out while it gets warm and the Tstat opens,... look for bubbling..... if you have bubbles, you're pushing compression into the water....

jonnyB

Loc.
San Antonio TX
You have water/coolant in your oil. if you continue to drive it you expect to have more noise. I would check the intake manifold gasket since that is the last thing you did before you started having the problem. I would also drain the oil and get the coolant out asap, dont let it sit with water in it.

OP
OP
G

gslack

Loc.
Colorado Springs
thanks for all the help but i figured out what is wrong, when it was snowing a lot here a few eeks back the pcv valve was sucking moisture due to the connection to the valve cover being bad i sealed it up and my oil has been fine every since. and so has the stuff in my air cleaner, and its been pretty dry lately too. thanks for all the input.

and fyi that 302 is for sure a 302w because the big hose on the upper left side of the radiator goes into the block.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
and fyi that 302 is for sure a 302w because the big hose on the upper left side of the radiator goes into the block.

Into the block or into the intake manifold? Big difference.