• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

strange sound from inside engine, while it's off!

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
the other day I was standing next to the truck with the hood open trying to fgure out why it don't run, when i noticed what I can only describe as the sound of a tiny ballon salesman operating somewhere within my engine. You know the sound that is made when he fills a helium ballon from the tank. Some of you who attend rock concerts know the sound but it is from a different kind of tank:) It was barely audible, but there it was and I wasnt dreamng. It seemed to come up through the carb. I figure it might be related to the vac advance but I don't know. Feel free to thrugh your 2 cents in.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Disregard previous post, didn't catch the part about it not starting. Therefore not hot.

OP
OP
Jerseydevil

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
To be clear, the sound occoured at about 5 second intrvals. On for about 3 seconds, off for about 5. Very steady. I stood over it and listened for about 3minutes and it did it the while time.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
oil pump left running after engine turned off?

..maybe not.:p

RangerRob

How about fuel expansion from your gas tank heating up and forcing pressure through the pump and carb or evap system if it is still in place? You could take off your gas cap (to relieve the pressure) when it is happening and see if it stops.

OP
OP
Jerseydevil

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
ok, heres an update. I now think Viperwolf is right, or atleastclosest to being right. I crankedit over a few times tonight and when I went around to the engine compartment I heard it again. Plus i also think I heard a drip sound. Great!

OP
OP
Jerseydevil

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
ok, heres an update. I now think Viperwolf is right, or at least closest to being right. I cranked it over a few times tonight (yes, I pumped the pedal afew times) and when I went around to the engine compartment I heard it again. Plus i also think I heard a drip sound. Great!