• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

strokers anyone?

kp89

Loc.
Huntsville
I currently have a 5.0 roller engine from an 86 mustang. I've recently been considering stroking and rebuilding this engine as a future project. For those of you who've done it, I have a few questions.

How was your experience?
What is a reasonable expected cost?
What is the maximum bore a 5.0 can take?
Was it worth it?

Thanks guys.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've kicked this around also and decided it is alot of work and $$$ to almost get a 351 ....... (shrugs shoulders). (347 being the typical end product)

If I were to get this serious , I'd start with a 351 and get some serious cubes.

jaysend5.0

I personally wouldnt bore more than .040 over on a 302. You can go 0.60 over but you are asking for trouble. I really like the 331. cost is hard to determine. I would say anywhere from 1200-10000.
You can get the rotating assembly from PAW for about 1000. Then you will want to machine the block and get a gasket set minimum. You will probably want a different cam and some head work with new valves and springs ect..

I am debating 331 vs. 351 myself. although for different reasons. (302/331 EFI or 351/408carb)

Basically if you are rebuilding it anyway I say go for it stroke it!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I would not stroke it. But I would have 408 cubes. But thats just me.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have a 31 in the Bronco and a stroked 5.0 in a Ranger. Like what you are doing now I researched the stroker a LOT before building mine.

The 5.0 just doesn't have enough deck height to properly use the 347 stroker kit. The rod is too short and then the wrist pin is up in the oil rings. They are well known as 30k mile engine and then they start smoking oil through the rings. The "cure" is an even shorter rod. So I did a 330" stroker. Mine is a hair smaller as it only needed .020 overbore. I wanted as much meat on the bores as possible. I stick to the .030 as the max on a performance engine. Beyond that then it gets hit and miss on if it will work good. Blocks are not that rare or expensive. When I dropped mine off at the machine shop I told them start with a clean, inspect, check the main and cam bores. If those are not straight, stop there and call me. I will find a better starting block.

As for stroker kits, I liked Eagle. I went to SEMA and talked to both Eagle and Scat. Eagle was more inteligent and not full of marketing crap. Eagle talked me down from an H-beam to an I-beam rod when I discussed my HP levels. Lighter rod will make for a more efficient engine. But Eagle wasn't perfect. They sent the wrong crank with the kit (no problems exchanging it). Also got a piston with a ding in it. Took care of that as well. So I have had to deal with customer service and it was good. Ad oddity is the pilot bore at the back of the crank was a little shallow in the bore back when I did mine. Not sure if they corrected that by now or not.

After all that, I like my 351 better.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
When my friend first finished his truck, he had built up a 331 (520hp).....It was a great engine. He pounded on that thing for 1 season without a single problem.

It just wasn't enough power for what he wanted - high speed dunes.

He's now got a 408W in his truck. 734hp dry-sump (dyno'd) w/o Nitrous, and he's got 2 stages of Nitrous on top of the motor. He's limited to just around 1000hp with the block he has.

Attachments

• DSC01795.JPG
    DSC01795.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC01800.jpg
    DSC01800.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01799.jpg
    DSC01799.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01797.JPG
    DSC01797.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 58

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Depends on what you want to do with it I guess. I thought about stroking my 302 and discussed it in depth with the engine builder and for my purposes he really thought it was a lot of money and effort for something that may or may not last beyond 50,000 miles. Now I know that there are guys out there that have had no problems, but Buddy has built every engine I have every had and I trust him. My engines, and the winning engines in all the circle track cars we have raced over the years live and keep living because of his knowledge.
Just my opinion.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
IMHO stroking the 302 is a waste of time just to get to 347 but if you have the means then go for it.
Much easier to drop in a 351W or an aussie head 400...;D

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
I went with a stroker 'kit' as it offset the cost of the machine work on the old crank & rods and buying rings, bearing, balancer. so for me i think it was only a few hundred bucks for another 45 inches and all new forged parts at that.

sticking with the 302 block simplifies things some too. a decent 347 will make 3x the power of a stock 302 so if you need more than that get out your wallet.

Mmmmm, shiney motor parts....
brnc_mtr.jpg

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What kind of work is involved using a stroker kit?

Nothing different than rebuilding any engine..at least not as far as the machine shop/builder is concerned.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That one statement speaks volumes.

Why do you like the 351 better? HP, Torque, reliability, fuel economy? And is it stock or modded?

The peak TQ and HP numbers on both engines are about the same.
Just the 351 will do it with less drama.The top end of the 351 is maybe 500 RPM less but the bottom end starts 1000 RPM lower. So it has a broader working window.

Being inside both engines, you realize that the 351 was severly beefed up as designed.

Both engines are modded, builds are close to each other. Both engines have pistons, rods, aftermarket heads with 2.02/1.60s.
The vehicles are different enough that gas mileage comparisons do not exist. I never took good numbers with the 330 to date either.