• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stroppe Race Bronco - Update w/pix

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Question, why did they enclose the engine like they did?

Again, I have to say that I'm happy to see you end up with this truck. I know if I had it, I wouldn't even know where to begin and would likely do more damage than good. Looking forward to the restoration thread :) Keep up the good work!

I don't know exactly why they did that - it makes working on the engine more difficult, that's for sure. I have a hunch it was for more clearance in the fenderwells for suspension stuff but I can't say for sure. I talked to Dick Russell a few years ago but of course never got around to asking questions like that. Now that we have the truck, I want to call him back and ask him some specific questions about how/why they did different things.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
very cool write up there TZ.
the coild are more than likely removed by unscrewing them once the lower plates are off.
lots of cools things old dick whipped up back in the day. if you've ever seen one of the old blazers they share many of the ideas. his skill set was quite advanced for the day.

I was wondering if twisting them out might work - thanks for that idea, Nick! Dick seemed to be one of the best fabbers in his day.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Wow Todd! The truck is in amazing shape for a race truck. Most I have looked at are beat to death. Please keep the pix coming!

As we find more things, we'll be sure to post more pictures.

Todd Z.

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
Absolutely Awesome vehicle. Once restored gotta bring it to some race contingencies and show it off. From your writeups it obvious that this rig got into desrving hands. Can feel the fun you're having just reading them.

See you in Big Bear and thanks for the link to Driven for the AC compressor.
Found a couple so didn't need to call.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Absolutely Awesome vehicle. Once restored gotta bring it to some race contingencies and show it off. From your writeups it obvious that this rig got into desrving hands. Can feel the fun you're having just reading them.

See you in Big Bear and thanks for the link to Driven for the AC compressor.
Found a couple so didn't need to call.

Thanks Greg. I won't actually be there myself but the Driven folks will be. Please say hello to them.

Todd Z.

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
Great thread Todd! I love following your and Andrew's progress on this truck. From researching its heritage to finding things on the truck itself. Its amazing how many things Stroppe added to the race Broncos... things you wouldn't think of, like the dead pedal, trimming the quarters for dual spares, pi$$ tubes, storage compartments, etc etc etc. Crazy cool.

Keep those pics and updates a' comin! :cool: ;D

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Awesome find and great EB race info. You and Andrew keep up the good work!
Sure would be cool to see it down in the streets of Ensenada Mexico during tech inspection day.
jed

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
Very cool stuff. I can only imagine how tough the 12K miles shown on that old speedo were....

Thanks for the nice read. Those old racers were some HARD CORE dudes.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice write up on a great find. Very interesting bits and pieces on that Stroppe :)
Karl

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
I was wondering if twisting them out might work - thanks for that idea, Nick! Dick seemed to be one of the best fabbers in his day.

Todd Z.

We have a setup like that on one of our bronco's. You just unbolt the bottom plate then turn the spring 90 degrees toward you and slide it out. It works well and its pretty quick to change the springs out.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
One other interesting item I forgot to mention in my initial postings was the engine. The truck currently has a built 302 in it with the heads that allegedly came on the original engine. When I got the seats and hood a few weeks ago, the previous owner gave me the block and rotating internals of what is believed to be the original engine.

Great - I thought - a boat anchor. Andrew was a lot smarter about it and suggested that maybe if it was really the original race engine that perhaps it might be a good factory engine, like an HP289 or something similar. I pulled out my Tom Monroe Small Block Ford book and did some research on the engine and sure enough it's a '65 HP289 - heavy duty main caps, etc. We're unsure of the condition of the block, etc., but if it can be rebuilt and re-assembled, we'll plan on putting this engine back in the truck too.

Todd Z.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Man, I wish we'd found it in the weeds...I'm eating Ramen noodles every night for dinner. J/K. Actually had it not been so well taken care of over the years we'd not have had such luck with the details, boxes of parts and original engine.

Here's a bit on it: http://www.bajabronco.com/RedRacer.shtml

Basicly, we'd known about it for some time and it was stored inside since the last owner built it up as a sand toy. Story before that is reported to be that it was in the previous previous owners garage in pieces and we're not sure how long he had it.

Last edited: