• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stroppe Racer

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Todd Z and Andrew Norton's Stroppe Racer is in the new Off Road magazine, Todd doesn't like to toot his own horn so I'll do it for him ;D That's Todd himself behind the wheel catching some "vintage air"

Attachments

• tz2.jpg
    tz2.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 159

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Todd Z and Andrew Norton's Stroppe Racer is in the new Off Road magazine, Todd doesn't like to toot his own horn so I'll do it for him ;D That's Todd himself behind the wheel catching some "vintage air"
Thanks for posting-an article to save :) Congrats to Todd and Andrew. With all the time, $$ and work, it is nice to see them getting some props!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Todd caught air with the racer? WOW!
I remember driving back from SEMA a few years back and did a little passing on the highway and he was shocked that we hit over 100 MPH, he had never gone that fast in a car before. Now we have him jumping a vintage race truck.

Reminds me, still need to get hotel rooms for SEMA this year.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Awesome!!! I think I need to get a copy of that! Simply amazing that they put this thing back together again to race 40 years later.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys! We are stoked. I was all nervous when Todd said OFF-Road asked him to jump it....but after NORRA we knew it could take it. It's a dream come true!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Todd caught air with the racer? WOW!
I remember driving back from SEMA a few years back and did a little passing on the highway and he was shocked that we hit over 100 MPH, he had never gone that fast in a car before. Now we have him jumping a vintage race truck.

Yes, I do generally drive like an old farmer. When my friend that did the photo shoot and article asked me to "get the front end off the ground a little bit", I told him I had only got air under my EB once (that I can remember) and wasn't "much of a jumper". But I gave it a shot and it turned out OK. I probably ended up jumping it 15-20 times for his shots. It landed surprisingly well but like Andrew said, I was glad the front end didn't bend. That was one repair from the restoration that I did NOT want to repeat.

Todd Z.

66Bronco

Great picture Todd!

I'm stoked that Red Racer is getting the attention it so deserves. Thanks again for the magazines.

-Terry

OP
OP
1sicbronconut

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, I do generally drive like an old farmer. When my friend that did the photo shoot and article asked me to "get the front end off the ground a little bit", I told him I had only got air under my EB once (that I can remember) and wasn't "much of a jumper". But I gave it a shot and it turned out OK. I probably ended up jumping it 15-20 times for his shots. It landed surprisingly well but like Andrew said, I was glad the front end didn't bend. That was one repair from the restoration that I did NOT want to repeat.

Todd Z.

Then again it was Tim driving ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Then again it was Tim driving ;D

Hay, I resemble that remark!
Just because I stated (under oath in court) that I have done 130 MPH on a public road and 108 on a dirt road on the way to work doesn't mean I drive fast. Just ask the retired police officer who was in court with me who thinks she once got her cruiser up to 95 once. For some reason we were both dismissed from Jury duty. I don't know why%)

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I'm a witness to Todd's new found hazardous ways. He even drove that thing on a quiet public street! Well it wasn't quiet as he did 40 (in a 25MPH residential street) with the open headers dumping out behind the front seats:-X. And I'm not so sure that tiny OHV license plate really counts as 'legally registered' or insured... But hey, I really did enjoy the ride, but I'm still wondering when you'll let ME drive that thing...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm a witness to Todd's new found hazardous ways. He even drove that thing on a quiet public street! Well it wasn't quiet as he did 40 (in a 25MPH residential street) with the open headers dumping out behind the front seats:-X. And I'm not so sure that tiny OHV license plate really counts as 'legally registered' or insured... But hey, I really did enjoy the ride, but I'm still wondering when you'll let ME drive that thing...

It's not that loud. Why I have had lightening strike a few hundred yards away that was nearly as quiet as that rig, at idle;D
Back when Todd took it to the Pavalions I was walking around looking at cars an off in the distance, away from all the other cars, there was this sound. About 500 people (half the crowd) looked across all the parking lots and about half a mile away I spot the Stroppe backing off the trailer to join the show. Even got a little ride on the back as we returned to the trailer.
My hearing has almost returned:-X

Man that thing sounds good. I really would loved to hear it going full tilt in a race. A residential street will suffice. You can even do it at my place, just let me make sure the cop that lives down the street isn't home before we do it.%)

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Another cover shot. Chris and Glen hauling the mail.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• scan0004 (Large).jpg
    scan0004 (Large).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 36

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
Very cool. I really like the fact that alot of the vintage Baja racers are being put back into action. Even saw the Olds 442 that James Garner drove back in action. ....Now, how do I score a ride??

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Very cool. I really like the fact that alot of the vintage Baja racers are being put back into action. Even saw the Olds 442 that James Garner drove back in action. ....Now, how do I score a ride??

Things are still in the air for the '11 event. If something happens where rides are a possibility, Andrew and I will put it out here.

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Todd, can we take the racer to SEMA? I think it is your time to drive;)

OK, so it needs that whole registration, plates (real one, not the OHV one) and maybe a few other things. I don't think the gas mileage will be that great. But drive it around Friday after the show and you will have a lot of people looking at it and thinking "how did I miss that in the show?"

notagain

That truck is a beast. It passed me in my compact rental car on May1st, about 5 miles ouside of La Paz. It went through the "express" lane at the military checkpoint on the outskirts of town...barrelling toward the finish line. Running that checkpoint...well, it really wasn't an option, but I sure would have liked to have followed the Racer to the finish line.