• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Structural Adhesive

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Wanted to know everyone thoughts on using structural adhesive for the door post and rocker? I’m planning on using 3M 07333 on the majority of the post, minus a few areas for spot welds. The rocker would be adhesive top and bottom with spot welds on the two ends.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
The body shop here said 3M 8115 or Norton 108-B were their recommendations. Don’t know what Ford uses now, but I committed a “small” indiscretion and bent my tailgate where it wouldn’t latch. Beat the snot out of it with an 8# sledgehammer. The metal tore but the glued seam did not give. I’m thinking it’ll hold plenty good.

Randy

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Follow the instructions.

Only bad one I have heard of was applying over paint. You can weld through paint (not supposed to, but it happens and it works). The issue with gluing to paint, it is only as strong as the paint. The glue held, the paint separated.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
While I was still working at GM building the preproduction models, we would use the adhesive along with spot welding. They tried using just adhesive on the box sides posts between the tailgate and it would come apart in the shake and rattle booth. I retired 15 years ago and things may have changed by now.

1buckeyefan1

I'm going to use 8116 (same as 8115, but slightly dif spec) on the upper part of my quarter panels. Welding the vertical seams yet.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Vincen

Contributor
I'm going to use 8116 (same as 8115, but slightly dif spec) on the upper part of my quarter panels. Welding the vertical seams yet.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I used 8115 on mine and was a much simpler install than I experienced on my last install.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not the only one that has had to tack and test fit door post about 10 times before the door closed right.

I don't know how you could glue a door post correct first try.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The rocker would be adhesive top and bottom with spot welds on the two ends.
That should be fine. The glue is MUCH stronger than welding, but the welds will also cover the electrical grounding (which is a concern on a vehicle this old whose wiring harness is designed for a grounded body).
Can't beat a good weld..
Yes, adhesive beats welding (except for grounding), no matter how good the welding is.
I don't know how you could glue a door post correct first try.
It's not instantaneous like hot superglue. There's some working time to adjust & clamp things into place, followed by some dead-blow hammering to make the fine adjustments.