• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stuck in 3rd gear after clutch replacement

partsloco

I replaced my 66 bronco 3 speed transmission with a center force 2 double friction clutch. It seems when I put the transmission back in it was in 3rd gear. Now that I have all my linkage hooked back up I cannot get it out of 3rd. It drives forward in 3rd but thats it. I was wondering if anybody has experianced this before or knows a way to get out of gear.

Thanks,

Justin

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
If you push in the clutch, does the clutch release????

I have a feeling either the shifter or the linkage are jamed up.

Do you have a floor shifter, or still on the collum?? The 3 on the tree are known to jam, maybee disconect the linkage on the trans, and see if you can shift it out of 3rd.

I remeber when I used to have a 69 with the 3 on the tree, If I shifted from 3rd to first without going into 2nd the shifter would jam. Then I would have to open the hood, and fiddle with the sfifter, untill I freed it up. Maybee you have a simillar problem.

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

On floor

The clutch works fine. I was able to move it out of my garage in 3rd. I have a hurst floor shifter. The first lever (closer to the bell housing) in stuck in forward position. The second lever is upright.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
I hope you did not separate the trans from the transfer case without locking the trans shifters, otherwise the trans is coming apart

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I still would try to disconect the shift rods from the shift levers on the trans, then try to move them into nuetral. You might have to have someone hold the clutch in while you do it, but they should move even if the clutch isn't pushed in.

Once you get it in to nuetral, put the shifter into nuetral, and adjust the shift rods.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
disconnect rods at trans and shift into neutral, put shifter in neutral, on column shift you should line up shift levers(underhood) and insert a pin or allen wrench in small hole to keep insink then reconnect rods without moving anything

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

Yeah, I seperated the transfer case and trans. I'm not sure is it was locked or not. What would the tranfer case have to do with the trans? Aren't the completely seperate units? is there a way to repair this by pulling out the transfer case. Just drive it around the block with no success.

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

The first lever is stuck forward and will not move back to upright. first lever closest to bell housing.

4x4x289

Yeah, I seperated the transfer case and trans. I'm not sure is it was locked or not. What would the tranfer case have to do with the trans? Aren't the completely seperate units? is there a way to repair this by pulling out the transfer case. Just drive it around the block with no success.

I made that mistake myself one time. the 3spd tranny consists of two shafts connected together by a roller/needle bearing inside. If you don't lock the tranny in reverse? then when you split the transfer case off, the rear shaft can pull out and the rollers will fall out. The two shafts then become misaligned and the shift ring no longer travels back and forth across the two shafts. This might be your case.

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

I think the forward lever was locked forward. I have attached some pics. If it wasn't, does this mean the tranny is comming back out.

bronco1.jpg

bronco2.jpg

bronco3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

I tried putting the tranfer case in neutral already. I'm not sure I want to pull the transmission again without a lift. Pulling the transmission by myself was a complete pain in the ass. I already had to bence press the thing back in two parts. Does anybody know somebody I could pay in Southern California that could help? I would rather pay somebody with bronco experiance than take it to aamco. I live in Costa Mesa, CA.

Last edited:

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
Is it locked with the shift rails disconnected?
In the third pic that small notch below the pivot is where you put a pin in to sinc shifter in neutral

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
thanks marty.

i'm about 20 miles south of you. i'm leaning to your shifter. have you tried disconnecting the linkages and manually moving the arm on the tranny? also, did you separate the tranny from the adapter, or the adapter from the transfer case?

BTW, nice supercharger!!!

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
the reason that I am betting big problem is , the needles drop and lock the shifting this is as already stated the rear bearing and shaft ppushing back

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

If the needls dropped behind the shaft would the transfer case not go back in.