• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stuck in 3rd Gear

Ryanmk12

I have a 75 with a 3 on the collum. I was driving to work this morning and started to sputter out and the engine died while in third gear. I was unable to shift out of gear as I coasted off the road. I tried with all my might to shift out of gear, but could not. I dont want to force it to much and break something. I got a pull back home and fixed the engine issue (fuel leak). However, I am still not able to shift out of third gear. What the heck am I doing wrong???

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
Get underneath and try doing it by hand, it could be your linkages getting old binding up

moebids

Loc.
Tuscaloosa
My old 72 did this. At first I went under and found that the linkage was broken. After I fixed that it still would not shift. So, I took my steering column out to look for the problem only to find there was no problem. It was just hung up in some unknown place. I just had to grease up everything that I could and manually move the gears from under the hood, then I had to man handle the column shifter until it finally came out of 2-3 and would finally go back into 1st and R.

This may not be your problem but it was mine. Hope it helps. Let me know.

nrramse

If the the rod that controls 1st and reverse is not perfectly centered (in the neutral position) when you're in 2nd or 3rd, then it will cause symptoms like your describing. Like mentioned before, your shifter could be getting old and worn, or it could be out of adjustment.

Newell