• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stuck valve covers

morencycollege

I cannot get either valve cover off my ‘73. I’ve pounded on them with rubber mallet, won’t budge. I also tried getting a stiff putty knife up underneath and can’t even get it in there. I’m pretty sure it’s a cork gasket because a little piece of what looked like cork broke free. Does anyone have any experience or advice on removing these?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I bet they glued both sides of the valve cover gasket. I hope once the cover starts to lift it will come free. I would tap a long gasket scraper under the valve cover and wiggle the scraper. Try not to distort the valve cover flange. Good luck

ugly74

Bronco abuser
sometimes I've had to lay a 2x4 against the valve cover, so that i can wallop it harder

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Once you get it off, use contact cement on the valve cover side and grease on the engine side. Never glue on both sides.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I bet they used the old red head sealer. I had an oil pan that was sealed with that stuff and it took some serious beating and prying to get it to come off!

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
New Valve cover gaskets from Fell-Pro are installed DRY, no sealer, RTV or contact cement. they do work great...

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Can't beat those felpro valve cover gaskets. They're reusable too, I've had the same pair for a few years now with no leaks and the covers have been off a few times.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the Blue ones Intake gasket is the same, but toss the front and rear and use a big bead of RTV (use usual)