• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stupid Question: Old bushings...

PolarrrBearrr

Loc.
P.R. of NJ
...in the leaf springs.

HOW THE F*CK DO I GET THEM OUT!!!

anyone have any ideas that make sense? No, I don't have a oxy setup to burn them out. Thanks.

Patrick.M

Loc.
Greenville, SC
Don't know if it's what you want to hear, but I went to Lowes and got a mini propane torch kit for 20 bucks. Those things came out in 10 minutes.

I've also seen some posts about a hack saw and vise but what I did seemed easier

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Yeah, I believe I used a hack saw on mine as well. I think I may have drilled through the rubber to break it down as well. I used the propane torch to burn out the bushings in the track bar.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Have you thought of using heat? ;D

Maybe try an arbor press and a bunch of lube.

Eric

turbotim2

I burned out the rubber, the inner bushing falls out and then used a sawzall to cut through the outer bushing and it fell right out. It only takes a few minutes and you don't need an oxy setup to do it. Any propane torch will work.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I burned out the rubber, the inner bushing falls out and then used a sawzall to cut through the outer bushing and it fell right out. It only takes a few minutes and you don't need an oxy setup to do it. Any propane torch will work.

That. How I do it pretty much every time.;)

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
What turbotim says is the easy way to do it I have done a bunch this way. Just need a vise, a small torch, a hammer, a punch and a sawzall or hack saw. 10 minutes for each bushing and they are gone.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It stinks though, and fills the garage up with huge clouds of burning rubber smoke.
Turn on the fans, or wear a mask.

Paul