• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Suggestions for 351W modifications?

bamaboy

I want to beef up the 351 on modest budget. Used mostly on the road some light off road. Has 2 barrel carb now that needs to be rebuilt so I decided to put in the shop and get everything done. Considering 4 barrel carb., cam, headers, new air filter (possible hood scoop if needed for air filter), and new exhaust. Suggestions for size and brands also appreciated.
Running original 3 on the tree, has 3 1/2 lift with 35s

Last edited:

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Headers will help. I've had good luck with K&N air filters but not in the mud. You want one of those wraps for a K&N if you go out in the mud. If you swap to a 4 barrel most of em aren't so good off road. Edelbrocks are great on the road but stumble and stall at angles. I now run a q-jet and it works good on and off road.The q-jet needs an adapter for most manifolds and that means a hood scoop for clearance. Those old 2 barrels work good both on and off road. You may just want to rebuild it.

islandigital

Loc.
St. Croix, USVI
Nice holley Truck avenger carb, DEFINATELY headers. If you dont already a nice dual plane manifold and a set of pro comp heads off ebay. Easy HP there.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I konw you are asking about engine mods but if it's running good now I'd get rid of the three speed before I'd do anuthing else.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
More power = more efficient air flow in and out of engine and out the back.

1- Air out = Headers and non-restrictive exhaust- stk SBF exhaust manifolds flow poorly over 4k rpm

2- Air in = 4bbl for stock 351W a stock (rare) cast iron 4bbl will flow plenty of air. Alum. dual plane is best for economy/full power

3- Edelbrock will be fine IF you are like you say, mostly road w/some light trail use otherwise follow good advice on Qjet above

4- Cam= air in but you won't notice much power increase unless you do 1,2,3 above first

Have fun, your budget is your limit for power :)

nvrstuk

Contributor
BTW, a stock '76 or 78 Mustang 302 air filter will fit under the hood with a drop base 14" air filter housing/base. This filter is appr 2 1/8" high x 14" dia. I ran this setup for over 10 years on 302's and 351W's with a large dia dist. cap.

OP
OP
B

bamaboy

Thanks for feedback...keep it coming. Need suggestions what headers to get.

Also, any suggestions on swapping out the 3 speed as suggested above?

theshadow

just a warning about pro comp heads...have heard a lot of bad things about them...of course I dont have any experience with them but...from what ive been reading the big block mustang guys over on 460ford.com wont touch and dont want anyone even asking about em. For what its worth

nvrstuk

Contributor
Personal choice on headers for a stock 351W-any of the EB houses. Many pros and cons of each.

Opinons on your doorstop trans? If you're a street driven rig, do this swao after you get the performance you want. No hurry if it's a street rig. If it was a trail only rig that would be #2 item to change (from your list anyway). 1st thing would be the carb so you could actually GO somewhere offroad. :)

You can have a lot of fun with a 3 spd in a Bronco. Remember, EB's were raced in Baja with 3 spds in the day. They are tough, dirt cheap, but there are better options

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Personal choice on headers for a stock 351W-any of the EB houses. Many pros and cons of each.

Opinons on your doorstop trans? If you're a street driven rig, do this swao after you get the performance you want. No hurry if it's a street rig. If it was a trail only rig that would be #2 item to change (from your list anyway). 1st thing would be the carb so you could actually GO somewhere offroad. :)

You can have a lot of fun with a 3 spd in a Bronco. Remember, EB's were raced in Baja with 3 spds in the day. They are tough, dirt cheap, but there are better options

From the man that has like 20 foward and 6 reverse gears;D The transmission selection is wide open just do a little searching. You didn't say what your axle gears were but with 35" tires that three speed has to be fun at times.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
I ran 35" BFG MT/KMs on my last 71 with 3.50 gears behind the 351W and stock 3 speed. What I lacked in gears, I easily made up for in raw HP. The 3 speed didn't last long. Shattered it into a million and one pieces.

As for engine performance. Things I did...

Swapped out 351W heads for ported and polished 289 Heads. Duffs short tube nickle plated headers w/ stage 8 header bolts. Dual 2.5" side dump exhaust w/ Flowmasters. Edelbrock RPM intake and Edelbrock 1406 4 barrel carb. MSD Offroad ignition. Holly Red electric fuel pump and all new stainless fuel lines w/ heat shield wrapping.

I was pushing estimated 320HP on this rig.

Swapped out my shattered 3 speed for a rebuilt C4 and a nice B&M Mega Shifter in front of my Tuffy Console. Thing would go sideways on dry pavement if I stood on the floorboard with the accelarator.

To clear the 351W w/ air filter assembly and all, I did have a 3" Body Lift to help clear everything.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
The following has worked for me:
1. Dual plane intake manifold.
2. 670 Truck Avenger carb, but fuel injection is great.
3. Headers with a good exhaust setup. I now run a 2 into one.
4. Correct fan shroud if you have a body lift as well as other good cooling mods. Mine averages 180 degrees has does not get above 205 even in extreme conditions.
5. I like auto's (mine is a modified C4), but there are many great manual transmission swaps out there. Pick what suits you and your budget the best.

I run 35's with a 3 1/2" SL with a 2" BL with 4.11's and this has been a good reliable street and trail combination for me.

OP
OP
B

bamaboy

Thanks for the feedback, any other 351W setups that have worked appeciated. I have to order everything so I am still trying to decide on which carb to go with.
Secondly, is going to EFI much more expensive than adding carb and intake?