• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Summit Racing ready to run distributors??

chickenman

Loc.
Edmonton Alberta
just wondering if anyone out there has run these SR ready to Run distributors in their 302? How are they holding up? Is this their own design or is it re-branded from someone else?

Thansk

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I think they are re-branded,but I'm not sure who builds them,but I bought a brand new one for my 302,installed it and it burned up the rotor tabs,so I replaced it with a Pertronix Flamethrower,which I'm having trouble with too,might be going MSD very soon.Good Luck. ;D

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have a problem with the "ready to run" name that both MSD and Summit use as a sales pitch for these.

To me, "ready to run" should mean just that.

These still need to have the advance curves calibrated for the particular engine and use.

Sure, they include the springs and bushings, but it's not ready to run.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
With the dependability of the Duraspark II ignition used in millions of vehicles from '75-'97 I see no reason to even consider an after market ignition. Every parts store has parts for the Duraspark not just speed shops.

OP
OP
C

chickenman

Loc.
Edmonton Alberta
the thing with the Duraspark2 in that there aren't an abundant of vehicles in the pic-n-pull yards around these parts that will cary anything that old. 15 years old is about the oldest we find for the most part. That's why I'm lookin at the summit system

Thanks for all the responses
Keep them coming please

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I picked up a new Duraspark replacement distributor from o'reilys for my stock 302, and it runs fine. I think it was something like $80. I am not a speedster though.

OP
OP
C

chickenman

Loc.
Edmonton Alberta
I picked up a new Duraspark replacement distributor from o'reilys for my stock 302, and it runs fine. I think it was something like $80. I am not a speedster though.

I'll be calling NAPA tomorrow and see if they can help me out. I'm no speedster, I just want the thing to run!

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The Duraspark II is better than any after market system for performance applications too.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_product_information1.html

Contact these guys at Reincarnation. They will provide a remanufactured Duraspark distributor with the advance curve, vacuum advance, and total advance calibrated for your particular engine for a reasonable cost.
They need your cam specs, compression ratio, gear ratio, tranny type, and vehicle weight to make the calculations. They will also need to know whether yours is a roller or flat tappet cam.
When you get the distributor, it comes with their recommended initial advance setting.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I am running the Summit drop in. I did just that....sounds a little funky at idle but starts and runs great and in gear sounds normal, maybe i should of changed springs but did not. i needed a steel gear for my 351 roller after i chewed up[ a cast one....alot higher than the original dizzy though...had to go to a different air cleaner

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I'll be calling NAPA tomorrow and see if they can help me out. I'm no speedster, I just want the thing to run!
Painless Wiring has the harness, & possibly others do too. Insist on a Motorcraft brand module, no substitutions!

Kgbronco

I built a 347 a year ago and installed a Summit ready to run distributor. Yes I changed the springs, but that is to be expected. The only issue I had is like most after market distributors is that it sits a little high and shortly afterwards the hood brace was shorting out on a plug wire. I have no body lift or scoop. I gently put an impression in the hood brace (not cutting it) replace plug wire and good as new.