• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Switch to OEM steering wheel as an upgrade

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I am just throwing this out there as a possible steering solution for folks with issues to explore. I was looking at parts online and keep seeing steering wheels and I recalled that I had a name brand aftermarket steering wheel on my 73 (OEM power steering, 3in susp, 35" tires) and I THINK it was a 13.5in but I may be wrong. It handled terribly...it handled like a video game that had some lag in it for lack of a better example. I had put it on during the "build" because my OEM wheel was cracked and I thought the aftermarket wheels looked cooler. I ended up buying a used OEM wheel with the horn ring off ebay and my steering dramatically improved... I mean night and day.

I wonder how many street related steering issues we see here may be related to steering wheel diameter or perhaps the length offset is making the ratios not feel and handle correct.

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I would never switch out my stock '73 wheel.
I have driven eb's with those little steering wheels. Awful....lol.

I have also been hanging onto this same wheel in my eb for 35 years...it ain't going anywhere, lol

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I agree. My Bronco had one of the Grant 14" wheels in it when I bought it. Had to use both hands on it to feel any amount of control. I swapped in a van tilt column with a stock 16" wheel and it was night and day. I can cruise one handed now and much less wander.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I have a 14" wheel on mine now and have always liked the way a stock diameter wheel felt better. I wonder why aftermarket stock diameter wheels are so hard to find?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
With a small wheel i feel like a T-rex with short arms. I rest my arm on the door and reach out for the stock wheel its a perfect fit. Small wheel leaves me hanging. Don't fix what isnt broke. Friends Bronco with 13" wheel is a pain to drive. we both have the same 33" X 12.5" X 15" tire size.

noreasteb

Loc.
Narragansett
Funny this came up just now. Last week, after much hesitation, I purchased a new OEM wheel for my 77. It replaced the old grant 14" three spoke and I feel like I am driving a completely different rig. It is amazing and regret not doing it sooner. The steering is soooo much tighter. Really loving it.

rbrodder

Love the thread, I couldn't get rid of the aftermarket wheel on my 72 fast enough...Went back to stock and then found a nice tight fitting old school leather steering wheel cover to put on it. !!

OP
OP
abn373

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Love the thread, I couldn't get rid of the aftermarket wheel on my 72 fast enough...Went back to stock and then found a nice tight fitting old school leather steering wheel cover to put on it. !!

Ha, funny you mention that, I have a cover that is supposed to arrive today. Supposed to be a "sew on" type :eek: vs the wrap thing. I guess that would be great if I was good at sewing at all. Hope its easier than it sounds.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's not...%)
Well, it's not actually difficult unless your fingers have issues. But it does take a lot of time.
At least in my case it does, but the results have always been worth it to me. I used the old vinyl w/wrap strapping first, and it worked out just fine for years. But when it wore out and I tried the more expensive leather with waxed string stitching, I was hooked!

Definitely has a better feel and a tighter fit. And lasts a long time too, if you're not too abusive.
But it takes time to do right.

Paul

OP
OP
abn373

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Finally put it on yesterday. You are right it takes awhile but came out nicer than the old 80s style with the outside wrap. I am happy with the results for me because mine is far from any kind of show truck.
$12.00, 1 hour, 2 beers.
No more black stuff on my hands from the 45 year old oxidized plastic.

Attachments

• 20180925_182716.jpg
    20180925_182716.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 92

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That looks great! Like the black a lot. I did tan on my first, and that reddish-brown (very nice elegant look) on my next. Figure I'll do black next now that I see yours.
The gray ones would be nice and match my Mustang seats, but most of them are too light of a gray. If they were darker they'd be perfect.

Thanks for posting up the results.

Paul

OP
OP
abn373

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Thanks.
For what it is worth, its an Aully Park genuine leather wrap size "L-" I only say that because the minus part is what makes it work for the skinny Bronco OEM wheel. They have other colors and I am sure you could change the stitching color to make it sporty or something. I got it off Amazon for $12.99
Annoyed that picture I sent made it look like the stitching at the bottom isn't centered...it is...that was the hardest part bc once you start you cant slide it around to adjust.

OP
OP
abn373

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Now I almost feel like I have to refinish my horn ring piece. Its pitted up. Not sure how I would do that. I didn't think it was painted, other than the faded black center accents.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Finally put it on yesterday. You are right it takes awhile but came out nicer than the old 80s style with the outside wrap. I am happy with the results for me because mine is far from any kind of show truck.
$12.00, 1 hour, 2 beers.

That is a good idea and looks nice. I am going to refinish my original steering wheel and that is a nice touch. Ken

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
$12.00, 1 hour, 2 beers.

That turned out awesome, now if I can just find a decent stock wheel I'll be doing that to mine soon.