• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Switching from door inserts to full dorrs?

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
I have seen several pictures of broncos with door inserts in one picture and full doors in the next. Does anyone have any info on how to do this? Any Tech articals?

66horse

Bronco Guru
you mean like this:

Attachments

• p4130035.jpg
    p4130035.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 263

66horse

Bronco Guru
I wanted to run doors in the winter inserts in the summer. I had a set of WH inserts. Looking at them, there were several rivets and screws to install them. It seemed to me that it would suck to take rivets out every winter. So I looked further. The inserts that BCBroncos sells go in with 4 screws per side. So I bought a pair of those. So now to take of inserts it is 4 screws. To take off doors it is 6 bolts per side. Doesnt take too long. I also bought lift off hinges recently. This is just for taking doors off easier as the hinge is in the way off the insert. But it is easier to lift the door off and then take the inner part of the hinge off. As opposed to holding and steadying the door while unbolting the hinges from the bronco.

Weatherstripping is an issue I suppose but I dont run any. My doors dont fit right anyway (long story... post 67 door son a 66 bronco, striker not done well by PO).

Good luck, I love the flexibility of both inserts and doors!

Steve

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
A manufacturer is missing his calling here. I would buy door inserts if they already had half a lift off door hinge on it, and latched like a door! Then you put the hinge on, close the insert, and voile! You have a summer rig!

Or, get the half doors that Chuck offers, and find a soft upper door to match!

broncoinsane

Loc.
southeren michigan
nice to see those pics,i was going to sell my doors and get inserts but now im just going to get the inserts and keep my doors.

66horse;;what size lift / tires are you running ,hard to tell from the pics?

66horse

Bronco Guru
it is a 2.5 inch suspension lift and 1 inch body lift. Gorilla flares and 35s.

66horse

Bronco Guru
cbfomoco said:
66horse what are those mirrors off of??? Thanks

They are an aftermarket mirror made by Grote. I bought them on ebay. Ihave heard that you can get them from Napa. Try finding Grote's website for more info.

Steve

OP
OP
E

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
Thanks alot. That was exactly what I was talking about. Somewere in my web serfing I saw a picture of a EB at a show and it had door inserts that obviously had hinges and strikers, because the drivers one was open. I can't remember were I saw this!

OP
OP
E

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
That's the one that I saw! Couldn't you take and old pair of doors and trace the otline of the inserts and cut them out. Then weld in panels and smooth the insides? Sounds like alot of work.

Jackal73

ebman74 said:
That's the one that I saw! Couldn't you take and old pair of doors and trace the otline of the inserts and cut them out. Then weld in panels and smooth the insides? Sounds like alot of work.

If you look close, that is what they did. Get an extra pair of doors and re-align the linkage for the door handle to the inside of the door or to the new welded flat piece. Then install quick release hinges on both doors.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
I wrote them and asked how they did it, if they had schematics to share.....ETC!

If I get an answer, I'll be posting it!

OP
OP
E

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
I wonder if Chuck at BC broncos could cut his roadster doors down to make them look like the door inserts? I would buy a pair. Maybe we should ask him? Or hopefully he reads this thread...Chuck? Can you hear me know??

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
MnkyBiz said:
We have got to figure out how to do this!!!!

?:?

Cool and all, BUT what the heck would you want to open the cutouts for?????

%) I can see make'n a roudster door, but if yer do'n that #1 ya don't need it to open and #2 inserts are WAYYYYYYYYYYY less hastel!

...but I digress

:cool:

OP
OP
E

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
I don't care if they open. It would just be nice to have door inserts that would just pop on and off my hinges and I wouldn't have to remove the weather stripping exct. Then I could pop in my full doors just as easy.
You Dig?