• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

swore i posted this already but 5.0L mustang swapping

jimmyhat

I am throwing in a 91 5.0L all wiring harness and brain with it... into my early bronco I have located a np205 divorced and seeking my tranny np435 still.

Currently working out the body work and cutting welding should be starting pretty fast!

Wondering about a 302 older oil pan i have? Will it fit my current 91 302?
And i see alot of other doing this swap any little tips im going to face anytime soon......

Oh im not running anything original Possibly wiring up my own harness for the interior back! Anyone else done this or found an easier way?

Thanks pictures coming

OP
OP
J

jimmyhat

Anyone running a T5 tranny that came in the mustang with a 5.0L?
Im wondering if anyone like the gearing and way it is set up?
I have that as an option. It also would solve aload of issues im at right now! I just want my engine tranny (np435- missing pieces or T5 complete) and np205 in the frame all painted and get the tub on it so i can start the tube front and bumpers/ roll cage and on and on and on............ I also have some guys ready to paint the body frame diffs and whatever else i want for beer... Would like to take advantage of that before to long like maybe 2 weeks from today!

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I would do a search for the T5. From what I have scanned over it is not a very good swap.

People make their own wire harnesses all the time. If you think you have the skills then go ahead and you will know the ins and outs of everything you wired. I am not that interested and had the cash on hand to buy a new harness pre-fabbed (Centech).

Rod

I left the stock '91 oil pan on mine your original pan will work though, the t-5 has a low 1st gear 3.35 that you may like! I kinda wish that's the route I took instead of the aod I went with.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Have you figured out how to fit a divorced NP205 between the tranny and rearend? I've never heard of anyone doing it successfully. Only one person I know that bought a project from someone that started doing it and gave up on it. Last I heard he was going to yank it all back out.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Stock oil pan will fit a '91. probably need to just plug the dipstick hole in the block and use the dipstick that is matched to the pan. Also be sure to use the bronco oil pump pickup. It looks very much like the mustang one but I think the installed height is different (correct height between the pickup and the bottom of the pan.

Bronco T5 adaptor has been discontinued from all accounts. the Mustang T5 would have a 2.95 1st gear, not the 3.35. That is actually worse then the stock 3 speed 2.99 1st gear. You would also need some low gears to take advantage of the .63 overdrive as well. The transmission was only marginal in a traction limited mustang. in a 4WD bronco that weighs 1000 lbs more and has super traction in 4WD...

Divorced NP205? I don't think that is going to do you any good. The short bronco wheelbase requires a short transmission and transfer case combo in order to fit in a rear driveshaft.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
As others have mentioned above, you are going to want a married NP205 to bolt up to your NP435. There is not enough room (length) in the EB drive train to use a divorced NP205.

OP
OP
J

jimmyhat

crawln68 said:
As others have mentioned above, you are going to want a married NP205 to bolt up to your NP435. There is not enough room (length) in the EB drive train to use a divorced NP205.

lucky me i waited i was going to get the divorced today pfewwwwwwwww

Anyways so the dana20 tcase i don't know much about it but maybe since im sitting with nothing at this time i should run the option of a c6 4wd and a dana20? If i can find them readily and cheaply here? Or a 435 and dana 20? Not sure what to do as of yet!

Phil if you are reading this call me if youre parting that 74!

OP
OP
J

jimmyhat

SaddleUp said:
Have you figured out how to fit a divorced NP205 between the tranny and rearend? I've never heard of anyone doing it successfully. Only one person I know that bought a project from someone that started doing it and gave up on it. Last I heard he was going to yank it all back out.

a piece of driveshaft needs to be made up not 100% of the length issue though..
I would be in need of redoing the front and rear driveshaft anyways Drivetrain places specialize in this

Broncobowsher

Total hack
jimmyhat said:
lucky me i waited i was going to get the divorced today pfewwwwwwwww

Anyways so the dana20 tcase i don't know much about it but maybe since im sitting with nothing at this time i should run the option of a c6 4wd and a dana20? If i can find them readily and cheaply here? Or a 435 and dana 20? Not sure what to do as of yet!

Phil if you are reading this call me if youre parting that 74!
To bolt the D20 to anything that didn't come from a bronco (bronco 3 speed or bronco C4) you will need a specilized adaptor. The Bronco D20 does NOT have a common bolt pattern with the full size 4WD.

The C6 is a big heavy and long transmission, but doable. Easier and simpler to do a C4 and they are plenty tough unless you are running a blown big block or a diesel. You could do a 4WD C6 and NP205 using factory parts.

Best thing for you to do is get an Advanced adaptors catalog for the Ford/Bronco and look through and read what your options are.

kntr

Bronco Guru
I had a T5 in my last bronco and loved it. I have an AOD now. I miss my T5. I never had any problems with it in 5 years and 65k miles. It was never wheeled very hard though.

I ran 33s and 4.11s with my T5 and I needed 4.56s or even 4.88s as it was hard to use OD unless I was going +75mph.

OP
OP
J

jimmyhat

having a hell of a time finding a np435 or a c4 which i would love to get!

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
jimmyhat said:
a piece of driveshaft needs to be made up not 100% of the length issue though..
I would be in need of redoing the front and rear driveshaft anyways Drivetrain places specialize in this
Yes. I realize a short driveshaft would be needed. The problem is there just isn't enough length under the Early Bronco to reasonably make it work. (A host of other problems would surface to deal with at the same time)

kntr

Bronco Guru
roundhouse said:
The NV 3550 is the best 5 speed for mostly street use. 4:1 first gear.

Ya but it doesnt shift like a T5 with a hurst shifter. I won many drag races with trucks in that old bronco. ;)

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
jimmyhat said:
I am throwing in a 91 5.0L all wiring harness and brain with it... into my early bronco I have located a np205 divorced and seeking my tranny np435 still.

Currently working out the body work and cutting welding should be starting pretty fast!

Wondering about a 302 older oil pan i have? Will it fit my current 91 302?
And i see alot of other doing this swap any little tips im going to face anytime soon......

Oh im not running anything original Possibly wiring up my own harness for the interior back! Anyone else done this or found an easier way?

Thanks pictures coming
just use the 91 pan--I used ford racing part#M- 6675-A50 oil pan kit-- this pan is the same shape as the 91-95 5.0HO pan without the low oil sender hole--the reason I used it is because the smooth rails on the pan are correct according to ford for the one piece gasket and it uses the stiffening rails on each side under the bolts that ties them all together & to eliminate that in the pan dipstick-- these modern pans are leak free compared to the old one -- the catch is these pans can only be installed on 1983 & later block with the hole in block above the drivers side oil pan rail & you have to tweak the dipstick slighty -- the flat area on the fords motorsports pans is nice for fittings such as my oil preluber or oil temp senders-- with that stock 91 pan maybe put a temp gauge sender in there instead of a plug if not using the low oil level sender

Attachments

• P5111397.JPG
    P5111397.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
J

jimmyhat

Who keep taunting me wiht the T5 love talk?
How did you mate that set up Up!

I would love to get an old adaptor from someone......
Since a T5 + bellhousing slave sylinder anda ll the other crap is with it! for free

Other s wanted

nP435 cannot find
c4 cannot find

Im ford fuct