• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Synthetic Oil

Whistler

Loc.
Johns Creek, Georgia
I have a '75 with a 302 bored .30 at rebuild appox 4000 miles ago.

I want to protect the engine and increase performance. What are your opinions on syn oil?

I have read the Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil myths and facts info and researched a few other sites as well.

From what I have read, syn oil is a better option than conventional.

What say the board?

BG's 68 Bronco

I agree that synthetic oil is better. Conventional oil breaks down faster than synthetic. I'm all about the royal purple brand... very happy with it!

There was a discussion about this awhile ago. I hate to say this but do a search on the topic and you should find some good information on it.

Popozuda7

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
Yes synthetic is the way to go over conventional !!!!!! I have always ran AMS oil 10-30W full synthetic it offers protection up to 25,000 miles yes 25,000 miles per oil change thats at least a 1 year interval the filter is AMS as well 12,500 miles. Check out there website for info I would say this is the best synthetic oil out there I have used torco, redline, royal purple synthetics as well. But AMS OIL has been the FIRST IN SYNTHETICS. AS always said " WE GET WHAT WE PAY FOR"
, so I say go for it you will not be dissapointed.. Zuda.....

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Oil lubricating properties don't break down, despite what some clever marketers have otherwise claimed. Conventional oil that is not paraphin-based will do just fine in your EB. If you want it to last longer, change your oil more frequently, as the deposits in the oil are actually the source of wear, not the oil breaking down.

Synthetic oil is only necessary in racing-style applications as it does not break down with heat nearly as much as conventional. As far as any other benefit, I doubt you'd ever notice any increase in service life or temperature in your 302.

Save your money.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
76Broncofromhell said:
Oil lubricating properties don't break down, despite what some clever marketers have otherwise claimed. Conventional oil that is not paraphin-based will do just fine in your EB. If you want it to last longer, change your oil more frequently, as the deposits in the oil are actually the source of wear, not the oil breaking down.

Synthetic oil is only necessary in racing-style applications as it does not break down with heat nearly as much as conventional. As far as any other benefit, I doubt you'd ever notice any increase in service life or temperature in your 302.

Save your money.

What motor oils aren't refined from parafinic crude oil?

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Sorry let me clear that up, oils like Pennzoil and Quaker State cause all this waxy build up in my experience.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I've been using full syn since the early 90's....... Maybe it's just luck, but I've seen very little bearing wear using it. We tore down an engine that I used the syn in with 180,000 miles. The bearings looked almost new. Still had the coating on them. All my engines have high mileage and still carry the same oil pressures they did when they were new.

If there was no difference... why do a lot of engine builders recommend NOT to use syn during break-in??

Solar Aviator

mountainview68 said:
I changed to Amsoil in March. With regular oil, my oil pressure would drop down to about 10psi when warm. With Amsoil it stays closer to 20psi.

I was a believer in using a good grade of nonsynthetic and changing it more often. I have been pulling a heavy trailer up and down the mountains lately and started getting concerned about the oil pressure dropping about 30 percent when it was working hard and pushing the cooling system to the limit. I switched to Amsoil and the pressure bearly drops. However, I still think corrosive contaminates form at the same rate reguardless of the type of oil and don't like the idea of only changing it every couple of years.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
Solar Aviator said:
I was a believer in using a good grade of nonsynthetic and changing it more often. I have been pulling a heavy trailer up and down the mountains lately and started getting concerned about the oil pressure dropping about 30 percent when it was working hard and pushing the cooling system to the limit. I switched to Amsoil and the pressure bearly drops. However, I still think corrosive contaminates form at the same rate reguardless of the type of oil and don't like the idea of only changing it every couple of years.

I certainly agree... I still change the oil at 5000 miles +/-. I have heard of some filtration systems that claim to filter better and allow longer intervals with regular filter changes only. I'm not sold on those yet.

Hogback

I've used Mobile 1 in my wife's Altima every since we bought it new in 96 and it runs like new at 200K miles. But, i'm still not convinced until i hit 300K or tear it down to see the wear.
But...
I do know a man who had used synthetic for about 25 years and everything he has owned has went well over 300K and most of the times he has gotten rid of the vehicles simply because everything besides the engines have worn out.
Another man I know travels across the US a lot and has always used synthetic, the last time i looked at his Mercury Mercur it had 385K on the odometer. (about 6 yrs ago, havent seen him since)
Both these guys say to change oil every 25K.

If you ever get a leak you'll be very tempted to go back to conventional, or you'll fix the leak quickly. $$$$$

racebronco

Loc.
Jeffersonville, IN
I use Mobil 1 0-40 European formula cuz I get if for free @ work!! but even if I didn't I'd still use Mobil 1. It's good enough for Porsche, it's good enough for me!!

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Solar Aviator said:

Correct: contaminates will still form at the same rate as far as fuel or by-passed gases go. With extended drain intervals the key is to filtration to remove those contaminates. Synthetics with extended drain intervals such as 25,000 miles need to be changed either at their service life or at least 1-year, which ever comes first. So don't run the oil for a couple of years till you hit 25k

BG's 68 Bronco

"BG's 68... do something about the Oilers man!"

I asked for direct email to Mac T, but they wouldn't let me cause they knew I would take over his job. Oilers lack of intensity is painful to watch. Mac T says they weren't man handled I don't know what game he was watching? Rolo was the only reason they kept it a one goal game. Time to bring in Laraque and harvey for Murray and Horcoff. Don't ask about Whorecoff... he's pissin me off!

Sorry for off topic post

PS. The Oilers played like conventional oil... now do you want that in your engine?

77pony

Loc.
Utah
I thought the key to going for long periods (10K or whatever) between oil changes with the synthetics was simply to continue to change the filter every 3-5K.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic in everything but the bronco. It has too many leaks. -al

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I dont think you'll see any performance gain from Synthetic oil unless you run at red line rpm's all the time. If your engine has a carb I'd stay with standard oil or semi synthetic cheaper than full and change at 3000 miles or so. If you have a EFI engine than Full synthetic may be a good choice with a longer oil change interval but I'd still change at about 5000 miles.
I ran regular oil in my bronco for years I rebuilt it at 177,000 miles because the compresion was going down my crank and rod bearings were still good and the crank is still std. size just polished it up. I now run semi synthetic and still change at 3000 miles. once the oil is black its time to change thats my .02 on it.

ransil

Bronco Guru
When did 3000 miles become the standard?
All my factory manual usually say around 7500 or severe duty is 5000. I think it was the quickie oil change places that made 3K up to keep a steady flow of customers.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
77pony said:
I thought the key to going for long periods (10K or whatever) between oil changes with the synthetics was simply to continue to change the filter every 3-5K.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic in everything but the bronco. It has too many leaks. -al

I think you are replying to my previous post.
Yes you are correct. The reason you want to drain the oil at its service life say 10K-25k what ever its speced for or one year is that even though you can filter an oil clean and free of particles and debris over time corrosive acids build up in the oil that are unable to be filtered out with a filter. So whether it be amsoil, mobil, royal purple or whatever and extended drain oil needs to be changed either at their service life or at least 1-year, which ever comes first.

UNCLEBEN

Loc.
Boise, Id
I dont think you'll see any performance gain from Synthetic oil unless you run at red line rpm's all the time. If your engine has a carb I'd stay with standard oil or semi synthetic cheaper than full and change at 3000 miles or so. If you have a EFI engine than Full synthetic may be a good choice with a longer oil change interval but I'd still change at about 5000 miles.

I am probably showing my ignorance , but what diference does it make if you are carburated or fuel injected?

Also I have heard that LPG contaminates oil much less. Is this accurate