• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

T handle transfer case

gick70

so you don't really need the latch attachment to keep it in gear,as duffs sell lever without?

Firedog67

Correct. You have spring loaded ball detents that will hold the shift rails in place

OP
OP
gick70

gick70

What could I try before a complete rebuild,my bronco will not stay in high 2, but it stays in high 4?? It wants to jump out?

Firedog67

You would need to purchase the adjustable ball detents. There are two required as you have a shift rail for the front and rear. Can be a pain to do if you have no body lift. They are located on driverside external of the case

Another thing is make sure you have full free movement of your shifter in both directions

I am sure others would chim in as well.
Can only speak of my experience

Good luck

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
You will need to tear it down. I've found the problem to be a few things, usually the detent balls etc are really gummed up from age, they need to be cleaned out well. I have also found the shift forks have a set screw and that has been loose on a few causing the engagement issue. I have opted to replace the detent caps with screws and jam nuts so I could increase the tension as I am doing away with the factory gate and T handle for something different.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
You can shim the spring for the detent ball with small washers but it's a PIA in the truck (not sure if it can be done without a body lift?) and it's only a temporary solution. You can buy new detent balls and springs fairly cheap, but a complete rebuild would serve you well anyway. D20's are fairly simple to rebuild and a great place to learn if your not experienced in more technical work.

You could pull the inspection cover off and have someone move the shift lever between gears while you watch from below, you may also have worn out shift linkage and your not fully engaging 2wd.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I'd check the easy things first. Make sure the linkage is adjusted and not tweaked and that you're actually going into 2 Hi. And If you've got the factory " indicator cover" dont assume that the " indicator arrow" is correct.