• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

T i r e -P r e s s u r e ((on-off road)) ? ? ?

bayrunner

Loc.
Eugene,Oregon,U.S.A.
Hey Guys ____ what tire pressures are you running, on and off road????? Also how long does it take to air up(size tire and system)________THANKS BAYRUNNER

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
On street, 32 psig for better mileage, 28 psig for smoother ride. Off road, without bead locks, 12 psig for normal trails and rocks, sand down to 10 psig. Don't have bead locks so someone else can add that.....These are all personal preferences. I always tend to lean towards the safer side. Too low pressure can roll a bead or pinch a tire against the rim on trail.
Airing up is about a minute to a minute and a half each from 12 psig to 28 psig on 35x12.50/15's with a full Power Tank.

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
35 12.50 on an 8" wheel:

27 psi on the street (However I keep upping the rear psi gradually b/c it keeps less rubber in contact with the road, which makes my spool increasingly less noticeable), 6-7 on the trail. Ive been lucky keeping a bead so far.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
33 12.50 15's on 10's
30 on the street
20 for a real mild trail (better ride)
goes down to about 12 or 14 for the rough stuff and looks like the bead is about ready to go.
Gauge only goes down to 10 and I run less then that in the cinders (sand)
Refills are as fast as the big compressor at home usning the CO2 tank.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Broncobowsher said:
33 12.50 15's on 10's
30 on the street
20 for a real mild trail (better ride)
goes down to about 12 or 14 for the rough stuff and looks like the bead is about ready to go.
Gauge only goes down to 10 and I run less then that in the cinders (sand)
Refills are as fast as the big compressor at home usning the CO2 tank.

If any of you guys carry a CO2 tank try using N instead. Nitrogen is a lot less reactive to rubber, contains zero moisture (that stinky smell from air in a tire is mold guys) and has bigger molecules and leaks less. Only worth doing if you are carring bottles.

I hope you have your rig ready Broncobowsher. I look forward to checking it out on a run this winter. You have helped me more than you know with mine.

Jeff in AZ

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
There is no single right answer to this question. It depends on your tires (bias or radial), the width of the wheels, size of tires, type of wheeling you do, etc. Personally, I run 36x12.50-15 Swamper TSL/SX tires on 15x8 wheels. I run around 30 psi on the street and as low as 6 psi for rock crawling. I too have a PowerTank (CO2) so it only takes a few minutes to go from 6 psi to 30 psi. Of course, I usually trailer mine, so I rarely air back up anyway. ;D

Jeff, what does it cost to fill a 10# tank with liquid nitrogen, and can they legally fill a CO2 tank with it?

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
35/12.50/15 BFG M/T's on 15X9.5 wheels. I run 26-28 psi on the road and any where from 7-8 to 15 psi on the trails. I use a York A/C pump and can air up from 10 psi to 28 psi in a minute or less. As GJbroncoman stated, your pressure will depend on your situation , vehicle, tires, wheels, terrain,.....

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
BFG Mud terrains 33" X 12" X15" 33 psi front and rear for the street. 20 psi dirt road. and 15 psi trail with lockers dont need to go lower and helps save sidewall damage. Every rig and tire combination is different and with lockers keep the pressure right and left sides exactly the same.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
GJBroncoMan said:
There is no single right answer to this question. It depends on your tires (bias or radial), the width of the wheels, size of tires, type of wheeling you do, etc. Personally, I run 36x12.50-15 Swamper TSL/SX tires on 15x8 wheels. I run around 30 psi on the street and as low as 6 psi for rock crawling. I too have a PowerTank (CO2) so it only takes a few minutes to go from 6 psi to 30 psi. Of course, I usually trailer mine, so I rarely air back up anyway. ;D

Jeff, what does it cost to fill a 10# tank with liquid nitrogen, and can they legally fill a CO2 tank with it?

I just read this again, and I was not talking about "liquid Nitrogen". Just everyday Compressed Nitrogen. It has to be pretty cold to become liquid.

Not sure on tank size but our little tanks (about 2 ft tall) get empties exchanged for filled bottles for $17.00 each at the welding supply shop. I don't think there is a difference in cylinders between CO2 and N but the sticker that says whats in it. Both inert gases. O2 and Acetyline are different bottles I think.

Jeff in AZ

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
CO2 has a lower operating pressure, around 900PSI and is stored in cylinders rated for 1800 PSI. Since CO2 is condensed into a liquid at that pressure, it has a very large operating volume.
N2 does not condense like CO2 does and is stored in the bottle in a less dense, but higher pressure. I believe up around 3000 PSI. Volume wise, is should be very similer to those who run a Scuba tank.
Before I got my CO2 (raffle prize at the AZ Bronco Stampede) I was using a Scuba tank. Fills were $4, I could easily fill all 4 tires and have plenty left over. Never tried, but I think I could have filled my 33" tires from a way low sub 10PSI to street 30 twice. I know I could easily do it once. Actually that was the real cheap way for me since at the time, I had a friend who owned his own dive shop. I would come in rebuild broken stuff for him and throw my tank on the compressor to top it off, so it actually didn't even cost me the $4.
I do not deny that N2 is one of the best things to fill a tires with, but I think CO2 is actually less reactive then just straight air because the Oxygen is already reacted with and thus won't react with the rubber in the tire.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
10 pound power tank(CO2) - 12 psig to 28 psig 16 times with a little left. These were 35x12.50-15's on 15x10 rims.....