• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tail Gate Removal

sgsedillo

Loc.
San Pedro, CA
Could someone please tell me how to remove the tailgate ('76). I bought "The Silencer" hinge kit and want to install it. Thanks.

JeffBM

Yeah, I'd like to know too. Mine's got stuff inside rolling around making noise when I open and close it. Like to get it out of there.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I loosened up and removed one side of the bottom tailgate hinge (2 bolts) and then pull the tailgate up (closing it action) while causing the tailgate latched to fold in reverse (up) and then it will get to a point 3/4 up that you can pop them off the body and then remove the tailgate. This is what I did.
As far as getting stuff out haha good luck!!! I failed in that attempt even with everything removed...rattle rattle rattle...

thomstone

Loc.
prescott
the only way I have done it is to remove the 2 bolts on one hinge and tilt it out a second pair of hands will make it easier.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
The bottom of the tail gate has very small drain holes. The stuff ratteling around in your tail gate is likely bigger than the drain holes. I took mine off and drilled a large hole in the center of one of the pivot insets on the tailgate and dug all of the rust out. You are then going to have to weld the hold shut. Even if you don't weld it up, it shoudl be ok.

Chris B.

armc13

Loc.
NorCal
8 bolts is all it takes, where the pivots bolt to the body and arms bolt to the body. Just make sure you disconnect the license plate light wire if you are going to drop the whole tailgate off, I almost snapped mine!