• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tailgate Cable DIY

Torkman66

Contributor
I know that all of the parts houses sale a tailgate cable kit. I also know they want too much for them and the way they are mounted is somewhat difficult because the bolt that goes in the taillight housing interferes with the latch bracket. I figured I'd give it a try and build my own. Turned out great and it cost about $25. Lots of ways to skin this cat, but this is how I did it.

First I ordered these cables from Amazon:
Cables.jpg

Then I ordered two 5/16 -18 X 2" Grade 8 carriage bolts from Bolt Depot (more on that later).
bolts.jpg

I had some 3/8" fuel line rubber hose and some 1/2" rubber heater hose so no need to buy that.

Finally, I had a couple nylon locking nuts and two 5/16" flat washers. That's all it takes.
Here it is in the order it should be assymbled.
IMG_8303.JPG
First, take the bolt and put a 1" length of 3/8" hose on it. This ensures the cable eye rotates smoothly and eliminates any metal on metal rattle between eye of cable and bolt.
IMG_8304.JPG

Then put on the cable end as shown with hump on cable facing toward head of bolt.
Then push on the 3/4" length of 1/2" hose over the top of the 3/8" hose and push it up firmly against the cable eye. This just keeps the cable in place at the end of the bolt up against the head.
IMG_8306.JPG

Now slip on the flat washer and hand screw in the bolt into the LOWER mounting hole where the orginal bracket mounted. Get it n there tight by using some pliers on the head of the bolt (be careful and it wont scratch) :)
IMG_8308.JPG
Now you can remove your taillight and reach up into the taillight panel and feel where the bolt come through that you just screwed in. Put the nylon nut on it and tighten it down with a small socket. You might need to hold the head of the bolt with pliers so it does not move when tightening the locking nut.

IMG_8310.JPG

There you go, one side done. The tailgate sits slightly above 90 degrees probably around 85 degrees. But not very noticeable and the cables will likely stretch a bit over time and a few football tail gate parties!

IMG_8297.JPG
IMG_8298.JPG
IMG_8299.JPG
IMG_8293.JPG
IMG_8294.JPG

Tailgate closes with zero binding and NO metal rattle!!!

So why the grade 8 bolt? You can get a nice stainless steel carriage bolt from Lowes, but SS bolts are a grade 2 or 3 at best (low to no carbon). Im over 200 pounds and I sure dont want to hop up on the tailgate and the bolt bends or breaks. Grade 8 will not budge!

Finally, the cables I list above are 18 1/8" from eye to eye. The same company on Amazon has a longer set that is just over 21" but I think that might put the tailgate over 90 degrees. Your call.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Nice job. If you want a stainless bolt you could pick up some ARP bolts and use those. I do agree though stainless carriage bolts a weak as can be. Would also be nice if you could get a nice plastic bushing turned rather than using rubber hose. Would keep it silent but won’t squish or bind up on the cable. Also since you aren’t painted yet if you wanted the tailgate to open further you could just drill a new hole.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Thanks. Its a bit of a prototype so will make some adjustments down the road. I was actually thinking about sealing up those two holes and making an new one slightly lower to make the tailgate 90 degrees open. Would be easy to put a 1" x 2" threaded plate inside the taillight section. That would be a clean look. At this point thought I would just put a nice SS flat head Allen head into the top bolt holes on each side.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Purchased longer cables and moved mount to top hole. Everything same as before but now tailgate perfectly flat. New cables :

IMG_8385.png

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
Nice! I couldn’t get whatever hardware I cobbled together to work in mine. I still have the cables lying around so I’ll give your idea a try. Thanks!