• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Teaching to drive a stick

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Let my daughter drive the bronco yesterday. She is 12 and says she wants a bronco at 16. We had fun but got a long way to go on starting off and shifting. Lol.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
That's a heck of a hill she's going up! I remember when I learned to drive a stick around age 13 I had already been riding bikes so I knew the mechanics of it which really helped. When I was 14 I started driving my sister's Toyota Corona to the football games, pizza after and parties. Good times. Great to get them going early!

dprio34

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
My wife is 30 and learning to drive a stick. She has a long way to go on starting off and shifting. Usually ends in a fight when critiques are given. Lol.

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My wife is 30 and learning to drive a stick. She has a long way to go on starting off and shifting. Usually ends in a fight when critiques are given. Lol.

Yeah...Lol...dang iPhone turns pictures crazy. I will fix it later on the computer. I was driving my dad's log truck at 9, so I figured 12 was an exceptable age to start.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
VW diesel is the easiest thing to learn to drive a stick in.
You can take off in 2nd or 3rd, Damn torquey diesel doesn't care.
Saw a girl learn to drive a stick well in about 30 minutes in a Jetta (diesel).
Her sister learned just as quick in the same car 4 years later.
Their Mom learned in a diesel Rabbit 20 years earlier.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Good job! If she learns on a 3-on-the-tree, she'll be able to drive anything!

66BlueGoose

Contributor
Taught my daughter last year too, after she had prior automatic experience. No back country around here, taught her in the high school parking lot, like my dad did with me. After she figured it all out in 2 high, i realized i should have had her start with it in 2 low, then move to 2 high. Get's some experience with the clutch and gas with and easier gear range.

SeanT4x4

I was teaching my girlfriend to drive stick in the bronco in the desert here. 1st gear in low is great for learning the clutch. It pretty much wont stall unless you try stop it like an automatic. Few weeks later we had dinner at my dads (he lives only a few blocks over in the same neighborhood) I had a little too much to drink so she got to drive home. My dad was standing in the street yelling "more gas!" as we were hopping down the road. I was laughing too hard in the passenger seat to give instruction. 2 wheel high was a little harder for her.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
You're doing the right thing. About half the drivers in their 20s and 30s don't know there was something in a vehicle that required manual shifting besides P to R or D.

edones06

Yea I beleve that you should have to know how to drive a automobile with three pedals just to get your license. But then again i dont think that a new ford truck can be bought thats manual shift. I guess its a dying art. My trail rig is auto but my daily driver is 5 speed. I was also thought to drive a stick shift in a old C 60 chevy dump truck when i was about 10 or 12 but i was thrown on a tractor way before that

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Good for you and her! It will build confidence in both of you. She will remember the good times forever.

Brings back good memories of Mom letting me drive the 3sp chev at that age.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Yea I beleve that you should have to know how to drive a automobile with three pedals just to get your license. But then again i dont think that a new ford truck can be bought thats manual shift. I guess its a dying art. My trail rig is auto but my daily driver is 5 speed. I was also thought to drive a stick shift in a old C 60 chevy dump truck when i was about 10 or 12 but i was thrown on a tractor way before that

It is or at least was until recently that way in Europe, you could only get a restricted license if you couldn't drive a stick.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great pic! I learned stick on moms Volvo in the driveway. Mastered three on the tree in dads gmc. Number one daughter learned stick in my TJ. She drools watching the bronco build with a ZF. There is nothing like telling the transmission what the DRIVER wants to do! Good job!

trekgurl

ahh,,,the ole stick shift,,,

In some ways with all improvements and automatic transmissions I think people have a hard time wondering why we drive a stick. I think it would really be hard for kids to comprehend because everything moves so fast paced.

My daddy did construction work and back in the early 60's he would carry my brother and I (I was such a tomboy) on the job site on Saturday's and we'd play and clean up in houses being built. Our jungle gyms were newly framed houses.

He drove a 57 panel Chevrolet ( 3 spd on the column with a foot starter) and carried all his tools and stuff in it and of course I started messing around driving it when I was about 11 or 12 on the jobsite and at the house in the driveway. My Grandpa would let me drive the his car (automatic) on Saturday's or Sundays around the farm they lived on we never told anyone ;) It was like our secret. Daddy never showed me anything about driving but I would sneak out and start it up and move it some, but mostly I'd watch him start it, drive it, and tune it up and anyone else when they were driving a truck, tractor or bulldozer. Who says kids don't watch and do things their parents do. My brother wasn't as interested as I was, but I was fascinated by it.

Later on by 13-14 I could crank that panel up drive it to the end of the driveway and turn it around and head for the road. I could hit all three gears ans be making about 35 before I had to slam on brakes before the highway. Of course daddy:eek: took notice of that and told me to slow that damn thing down cause I'm liable tear the end of the house out. He was right. He never let me drive on the road though that was his only rule.

Later on I drove that 57 panel when I had my learners permit. It was hoot and I loved that truck. It got gone to the boneyard sometime(I can't remember) as I started getting boy crazy,,, but that's another story.

My second car was a bronco, 3 spd on the column ( I wanted a 75 Z-28 but's that's another story,, ha). When I sold it 11 yrs later I had over 180,000 miles on it and all shifting that 3 spd. Wish I'd never sold it,,(who hasn't said that). Now about three weeks ago I got my 69 bronco back from restomod land. They did a bunch of work but one thing special was a 5 spd w/od and when I rolled into the driveway tonight the odometer read 649 miles,,,, looks like I'm on my way to another 100k.

It doesn't get any more interactive listening that motor wind up and easing into gear or winding it up tight and banging it hard,,,,,,, and that's just on the road,,, the fun really starts in the dirt.

I can honestly that was some good times,,,,and I still get that weird sorta smile on my face everytime I drive it.

kip60

Just tell her you forgot to burn all the grasshopper gas off. The new gas always runs smoother!
I learned in an old 67 Ch*vy grain truck. Two speed axle took a while to learn, the rest was not too bad.