• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Teaching my 15 year old son stick shift

Nothing Special

In about 1980 I was 16 and there was a Model A club that had a show at a local shopping mall. I was looking at a 1929 Tudor Sedan, trying to figure out where the different colors went in the 2-tone paint scheme so I could do it right on the car my dad and I were restoring. While I was looking an "old guy" (probably in his 40s) came up with his son (a little younger than me) and said "I learned to drive in a car just like that!" I turned to them and said "So did I"

80-picture_php_pictureid_125601_390a5d1a33279fc40e2cd6d75681973ce0f00640.jpg

Fast forward about 30 years and I taught both of my boys to drive the stick in my Bronco.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah that is a great story too!

In about 1980 I was 16 and there was a Model A club that had a show at a local shopping mall. I was looking at a 1929 Tudor Sedan, trying to figure out where the different colors went in the 2-tone paint scheme so I could do it right on the car my dad and I were restoring. While I was looking an "old guy" (probably in his 40s) came up with his son (a little younger than me) and said "I learned to drive in a car just like that!" I turned to them and said "So did I"

80-picture_php_pictureid_125601_390a5d1a33279fc40e2cd6d75681973ce0f00640.jpg

Fast forward about 30 years and I taught both of my boys to drive the stick in my Bronco.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok now it’s my 18 year old daughter’s turn at stick shift

Ok so my son wanted to take my daughter out driving the old Roadster.

She started to pick it up quickly in the parking lot but once she got out the side streets she stalled it a few times. She explained, “it’s harder when you feel like someone is waiting for you!” I told her, “no worries you get it... besides once you stop worrying about the other guy it will be back to driving like your in the parking lot! “;)

After the bit of practice I took over and three of us went on a long cruise through the metro park. Fun ride on a beautiful evening drive!

Attachments

• 1EA5F240-2869-4870-A215-10D346ECFCBB.jpg
    1EA5F240-2869-4870-A215-10D346ECFCBB.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Practicing maneuverability in a ‘66

After practicing driving around in my Roadster my son wanted to take a crack at maneuverability with the Roadster. Yeah, how many kids can say they can successfully do the maneuverability test in a column shift with manual steering? He did very well but I reminded him it is a Bronco, they can turn on a dime so it’s kind of cheating! ;)

He so badly want to show up for the in-car State driving test in my Roadster. Could you imagine the look he would get when the BMV officer coming out to my patina 66 Roadster! lol How funny would that be? It would be totally worth catching that on film! ;D Unfortunately I don’t think he will get the chance to because the snow will fly by the time he is finished with driving with in-car instructor. Apparently all the instructors are booked solid for next couple months. So, next choice is to barrow my one buddy’s Broncos if the roads are clear at the time.

I say this, he is a diehard Bronco fan! :cool:

Attachments

• 08B9007F-EDA9-4708-8C1B-2991C1ECED9F.jpg
    08B9007F-EDA9-4708-8C1B-2991C1ECED9F.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 44

fordfan

Bronco Guru
After practicing driving around in my Roadster my son wanted to take a crack at maneuverability with the Roadster. Yeah, how many kids can say they can successfully do the maneuverability test in a column shift with manual steering? He did very well but I reminded him it is a Bronco, they can turn on a dime so it’s kind of cheating! ;)

He so badly want to show up for the in-car State driving test in my Roadster. Could you imagine the look he would get when the BMV officer coming out to my patina 66 Roadster! lol How funny would that be? It would be totally worth catching that on film! ;D Unfortunately I don’t think he will get the chance to because the snow will fly by the time he is finished with driving with in-car instructor. Apparently all the instructors are booked solid for next couple months. So, next choice is to barrow my one buddy’s Broncos if the roads are clear at the time.

I say this, he is a diehard Bronco fan! :cool:

This is awesome Jeff!! Tell him to wait until spring to do the test so he can do it in the Bronco!! I'm sure he would pass because the officer wouldn't know crap about driving the Roadster!!

House

Minutia Militia
Cool, love it!
I have one year to go before my sons turn...

dougsride

That brings back memories. My son is 26 now. When he was about 12 I taught him how to drive a stick in a clapped out 66 bronco I had with a 3 speed. Barely had any brakes. We would drive around a hay field behind my house with the top off it was great!!

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
My 14 year old daughter, just had a birthday this month, has been learning to drive the '69 three on the tree over the summer. I told her if she could drive a manual steering, manual brake, manual transmission rig that she could drive anything and do something that most drivers on the road today can't do. She loves it!

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is awesome Jeff!! Tell him to wait until spring to do the test so he can do it in the Bronco!! I'm sure he would pass because the officer wouldn't know crap about driving the Roadster!!

I know but my wife thinks we are both totally nuts! Besides she is really wanting him to get his actual driver’s license sooner then later. But Ben totally wants to take the test in the Roadster. We’ll see who wins out in the end my wife or Ben.

I remember when I took the test many years ago. The officer before they would get in the car for the driving test would do a simple safety test. They would check all your lights and even have you beep the horn. If something wasn’t up to par they wouldn’t do the driving test.

I’m not sure if they still do that car safety check but I’m sure they would try to scrutinize my ‘66. The great part is that everything works the way it should even the cigarette lighter! lol I could imagine they asking where are your backup lights... then having my son explain how Ford didn’t add them until 1967 Bronco. It would be a really funny if we could go through with it!

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That brings back memories. My son is 26 now. When he was about 12 I taught him how to drive a stick in a clapped out 66 bronco I had with a 3 speed. Barely had any brakes. We would drive around a hay field behind my house with the top off it was great!!

I know in ten years from now my son and I will look back with very fond memories! He is always asking to drive the Bronco. From the beginning he always wanted to drive a Bronco.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool, love it!
I have one year to go before my sons turn...

Honestly it’s been fun teaching him. Yes, it’s easier to have them jump in a modern car and start to teach them but the process isn’t as much fun. It’s really a learning curve learning on an older car but once they get it they golden!

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 14 year old daughter, just had a birthday this month, has been learning to drive the '69 three on the tree over the summer. I told her if she could drive a manual steering, manual brake, manual transmission rig that she could drive anything and do something that most drivers on the road today can't do. She loves it!

Yes I told my son the same thing, “if you can drive my ‘66 then you could drive anything.” The modern cars are like riding in a capsule... you really don’t feel the road or hear everything that is going around you. Driving something with without any power and manual column shift you are really working it. He is quickly learning manual drum brakes stop very differently anti-lock disc brakes. So he has grain great appreciation on how each vehicle handles very differently.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, of course our son was looking forward to driving the Bronco so we started out in the school parking lot and moved right on into the street.
After he got his license he was allowed to use the Bronco.
Later it came out that he taught his girlfriend how to drive it!
Besides that, I would come home from work and the Bronco would be washed but there would be a big mud ring on the ground around it.
Good luck

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
My 9 year old grandson driving the 73 Bronco. Yes it is an auto, but come on he is only 9. Lol

Attachments

• 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 16

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Taught both my daughter and son to drive a stick.....daughter's first 2 "cars" were Jeep Wrangler 5 speeds, but once she moved to Pittsburgh for good, I bought her an automatic Wrangler - traffic, hills, and a clutch didn't seem like a good fit at that point. She is talking about getting a new car/second car and is looking at a Subaru SUV that will likely be a stick - if they are still even made??

Son had 2 Ranger pickups with 5 speeds for his first 2 "cars".....he just got a good paying engineering job after graduating college and his '11 Ranger started falling apart, so he bought a '20 Ranger 4x4, but it too is an automatic - Ford doesn't offer a stick in the new Rangers???

Both did well driving the sticks and likely will own another one at some point.

My only TRUE regret after selling my Bronco 2 years ago, was that I never let either of them drive it (5 speed)....never let my wife drive it either.