• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Teaching to drive a stick

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah. We had an old pulpwood truck with a two speed rear end, that was fun driving. My son learned to drive a stick and my wife can. When Festus is complete it will have a 5 speed as well.

bigdaddyof4

Loc.
Vincennes, IN
Took my oldest son 25 out last night to learn how to drive the Bronco. He did great seeing how he's never drive anything manual shift.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I actually learned on a 1928 Model A......at 15yo. I'm only 42 not an old codger. The I help farm for on occasion still owns it, still original everything except the battery.

farzadmip

I learned how to drive stick when I was 10 on my dad's firewood truck a 68 c10. Was really fun driving around the fields and gravel roads after school.
I'll never forget the ah-ha moment when I drove my 68 for the first time at 14 on a test ride with a friend when we realized there were gears I had to shift%)%)%) An automatic with a clutch! We were so young and dumb back then. Can't believe Ralph let us take off in that bronco that day! If he only knew! Best part was it wasn't for sale he was out picking weeds when I spotted it. Still have it to this day...I'm the 2nd owner, purchased new from Johnson Ford in my hometown...

clarrance

Bronco Guru
My daughter started driving a manual trans when she was 3. It took her 13 years, but now she can drive a 3 speed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 26

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Great picture Lane.
Both my boys learned to drive in a full size manual tranny chevy pickup with a 6 cylinder. The truck was big, slow, and if they didn't pay attention they got no where. Got both out of high school and college without any wrecks. Figured with that manual tranny they couldn't deal with any other distractions desides driving.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I learned the mechanics of a clutch on the farm when I was a boy driving tractors with my grandfather, I learned how to drive a stick on the road when I was 10 in a souped up El Camino of my dads, he was a drunk back then and would get blitzed at the beach and river get togethers that his treasure diving buddies would have, which left me to figure out how to get me, my sister and his drunk ass home. I would have his buddies load him up and then I would drive us all home and let him sober up in the passenger seat. First couple trips where interesting, having drove the tractors I could get it in to first and get going, but it took some getting used to, to be able to shift while rolling into a higher gear. Probably took me 5 or 6 miles to figure it all out. I was the only 10 year old in town with a 454 El Camino that was slammed in the front and slicks in the back, so I thought I was pretty cool. Then one day Dad got sober and I stopped driving stick.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think the best way to learn to drive a manual tranny is to let the kid do it alone out on a dirt road. The kid will be less nervous and actually pay more attention to their actions without a teacher.
Just show them the basics and turn 'em loose.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I learned in an old 67 Ch*vy grain truck. Two speed axle took a while to learn, the rest was not too bad.

X2, except it was a '65 Ch*vy grain truck. I watched my grandpa drive it so much it really wasn't a big deal when he asked me to follow him out to the field one day. I was 11 or 12 at the time, my parents were a bit, uh, shocked when they found out, but I sure thought it was cool! :-X

My wife is 33 and never drove a manual until a few years ago when I tried to train her in my '79. Didn't go so well, but I really need to keep trying so if something ever happens when we are out in the woods, she can drive me out.

edones06

Yea i tryed teaching my wife to drive a stick in a 4 cyl j**p. Not the best ride to start out in. Lil ol four banger aint got much bottom end. But i got her in my powerstroke and she drive like a pro