• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Temp Guage works a little: Advice please

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
I am trying to get rid of aftermarket gauges. I replaced the sending unit, and connected to the oem gauge. The gauge does move a little, like up to 120, then goes no further. Is this a bad gauge or a bad instrument voltage regulator.

Incidentally, where is the ivr?

- Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The IVR is located on the back of the spedometer head.

As for gauge vs. IVR, how do the other gauges that share the IVR behave? (oil and fuel)
If they also read low, IVR. If the temp is the only one that reads low, then the gauge, sender, wire in between, ground, or even a bad thermostat.

OP
OP
Bilgamesh

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
When I bought my Bronco a couple months ago, it had a three gauge sun pro aftermarket gauge kit installed under dash. The OEM fuel gauge read very low; the oil and temp. gauges did not work at all and had been disconnected. I was determined to get all the original dash components working. I replaced the sending units and connected the wires to find that the oil gauge read a little low, the temperature gauge read very low, and the fuel gauge still read very low. After reading a number of posts, I ordered an instrument voltage regulator from JBG. This piece is also known as a constant voltage regulator. It arrived today, and it fixed all my low gauge readings.

I noticed some odd behavior I have seen come up in other threads, like when the ground is poor, the instrument cluster does funny things. The turn signal lights stay on dimly, the gauges slowly peg, and drop all the way down very slowly. Anyway, I thought I would mention it in case anyone is seeing similar behavior. - Thanks