• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Temp gun, headers, floor pans, heat.

Trooper1276

Loc.
San Antonio TX
The local cheap tool store was having a sale on temp guns so I picked one up for 29.99.

I have been fighting a cooling issue that for the most part has been resolved. I wanted to make sure the gauge was reading correctly and to my amazement it is. I am happy to say that for twenty minutes in park the rig stayed right at 188-190 degrees at the t-stat housing, temp sending unit and the gauge.

After that I started shooting everything with the temp gun. I found some pretty interesting stuff. Most notably the passenger side floor pan in the cab where it meets the firewall and trans tunnel was up to 230 degrees! :eek:. I always wondered why everyone always griped about the heat over there. BTW the drivers side was 115. Not bad for a 100 degree day in Texas.

Next I shoot each exhaust header. most of them read around 700-720 but one on each side was in the mid 500s. Why would there be a difference? do I have two dead cylinders?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Check the spark plugs - could tell you more. You could also put a compression tester on them - thermal guns are awesome for troubleshooting all sorts of stuff.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Neat tool to have,I use mine for a lot of things.Mine has a laser pointer and it beeps when you pull the trigger.When my dog hears the beep she knows it's playtime.
Also very handy for finding leaks in heater air ducts and door and window frames.
Now I have to go shoot my floor pans......