• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

temperature gun to check temp gauge

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Use the coupler and some kind of clamp I like to use plastic woodworking clamps that ratchet shut but you can even use a hose clamp to hold it down.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Now I'm thinking gun, even if it off, it should give me a idea if the gauge is close.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Great info from you guys in the industry- thanks!

3 of us compared our IR guns just to see how close they were in readings...all were generally within just a few degrees of each other from 90F-550F.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
As someone mentioned, a spot of flat black paint will help to neutralize the emissivity issue. We always did that on the dyno at my former employer. Anywhere that we were likely to want an IR temp reading off of got a flat black spot.

Thermocouples drift with age, they aren't absolute. RTD's tend to perform more consistently over a long time span.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thermocouples drift with age, they aren't absolute.

Weld the junction together and you won't get corrosion and the drift it causes. In fact you can even weld the wires to what you want to measure the temp of.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I was told by our MS-EE who was in charge of the dyno & it's data acquisition system that it happens even with the welded wires. It's unavoidable, but it is a long term effect.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
So I got me a infrared gun, and painted a black spot on the thermostat housing. Here's what I got for readings.

Attachments

• DSCN0798.jpg
    DSCN0798.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0795.jpg
    DSCN0795.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0793.jpg
    DSCN0793.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0792.jpg
    DSCN0792.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0803.jpg
    DSCN0803.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 17

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Savage, did you take a reading 1/2" away from the black spot on the cast aluminum finish? That would be good info...

My IR gun doesn't seem to care if the surface is flat or rounded, within an inch the temps are the same.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Yes it was about a 1/2" to 3/4" away from the black spot, when I took a reading with out the black spot , it was 5 degrees lower.