• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Texas Body Shop??

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
Ok folks - I'm looking for some suggestions for a good paint/body shop somewhere in Houston or San Antonio area. I know there are lots of Houston and surrounding areas folks in the forum.

I have a '77 that I have been restoring ground up for the past two years. The work has been slow but steady, mostly on the weekends. I have put a lot of time and energy into the chassis and its just about where it needs to be. It's amazing what I have learned so far with welding and so on.

Now its time for the fun stuff, The Body! I was considering fiber body but for the most part the body is in fair shape with the usual rust spots (floor pans, one door post etc..). Outside of that, there is some alignment work needed on the rear panels. I have done a lot of work scraping off the old bed liner and cleaning up bad spots.

I know that I could do some of the body work but this particular restore will be my daily driver (next one will be my trail rig) so I really prefer to have a decent straight body and paint job. Problem is I don't know where to take it?

Any advise out there for good body shops?

Thanks

Mike

texaswildcat98

Loc.
Wichita, KS
Body Shops..

Man that is a hard call... I'm in the same situation you are. I have been working on my Bronco for a year and a half now. I started doing the metal work myself, but I'm just doing the floors. The outer or more visible parts I'm not sure if I want to tackle. Most of the Bronco guys I know have done their own body work and painting...

If you find a good shop let me know, if I find one I will pass the name on to you...

tcb1188

There is a place on Highway 6 between Memorial and Kirkwood called Unique Collision. I have been using them for about 12 years since I started driving. They have repaired five cars for me and two or three for my dad and it is always quality work with a very reasonable price. I would not go anywhere else. They have repainted three cars for me and I have been happy every time.

66roadhorse

Loc.
Houston
I don't know where you are in Houston, but I have heard good things about Donnie's Body Shop on Center St in Deer Park. I used to work in DP and saw an eb there and lots of other old cars. Might check with ricks77eb, he knows more about them and he lives in Deer Park.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I got a guy north of Houston, Off of FM 1488. If you're in a hurry don't bother. He has a couple cars in the works right now. One of which is a '74 that needs a complete frame off. His price is great and the quality is also. Coachbarnes is the owner of the '74 and will most likely have pics of it when it is done, if not I certainly will.

OP
OP
Coob

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. These are some good leads to start with. I had heard of Unique Collision before just did not know anyone that used them. I checked their web site and everything seems to be in order.

As for getting it done in a hurry, I'm not. Been working on this beast for 2 years now, taking my sweet time learning the how/to's. Took me an entire weekend to rebuild my steering box.

I started to cut out the floor pan on the pass side when I realized there was body cancer on the inside panel which is connected to the firewall and pass apron. I also have some alignment problems in the rear tub. Mostly in the rear fender panels and the driver side tailgate post is a little bad.

Gonna have to see what the estimates are. I may actually have to do this myself afterall.

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
broncow72 said:
I got a guy north of Houston, Off of FM 1488. If you're in a hurry don't bother. He has a couple cars in the works right now. One of which is a '74 that needs a complete frame off. His price is great and the quality is also. Coachbarnes is the owner of the '74 and will most likely have pics of it when it is done, if not I certainly will.
If you're not in a rush, you should hook up with the guy that Broncow is talking about -- I wouldn't turn over my '74 to just "anybody". But don't be thinkin' that you can butt in line! ;D ;D

Oh sure -- like I won't have any pics!! Are you kiddin' me? These guys will get sick of seeing pics of that thing before it's over!...btw -- I'm going to shoot for next weekend for a run down your way -- and I'll have your goodies.. ;) Be on the lookout for a stock bench seat for me...

66roadhorse

Loc.
Houston
Coach, I have a stock bench seat in a beat up U14 I am going to get rid of. The vinyl is trash, but the frame should be useable. It is in College Station if you are interested in it. It is real cheap.......like free. Let me know.

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
66roadhorse said:
Coach, I have a stock bench seat in a beat up U14 I am going to get rid of. The vinyl is trash, but the frame should be useable. It is in College Station if you are interested in it. It is real cheap.......like free. Let me know.
That's funny -- I was just in the "wanted" forum posting that I needed one! Consider it "sold"! That's awfully kind of ya! My nephews are in College station and can pick it up! If you'll email me with your contact info, I'll touch base with ya and set it up! Thanks MUCH!!! scott@coachbarnes.com

pooterpot

Loc.
Lumberton, Texas
ive seen 2 broncos in shops within about 5 miles of each other. one on aldine-westfield in front of the airport and another on rankin rd. the one on aldine is orange and looks like its having alot of work done to it and the one on rankin is red w/ white hardtop. anybody know whose they are?

OP
OP
Coob

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
coachbarnes said:
If you're not in a rush, you should hook up with the guy that Broncow is talking about -- I wouldn't turn over my '74 to just "anybody". But don't be thinkin' that you can butt in line! ;D ;D

Oh sure -- like I won't have any pics!! Are you kiddin' me? These guys will get sick of seeing pics of that thing before it's over!...btw -- I'm going to shoot for next weekend for a run down your way -- and I'll have your goodies.. ;) Be on the lookout for a stock bench seat for me...

Coach, I may just give it a shot. Its nice to know a shop where other Bronco owners place some faith. ;D ;D Not only that but knowing the shop has the expertise.

I hate to take my baby to a place where they don't even know what a Bronco is.

OP
OP
Coob

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
pooterpot said:
ive seen 2 broncos in shops within about 5 miles of each other. one on aldine-westfield in front of the airport and another on rankin rd. the one on aldine is orange and looks like its having alot of work done to it and the one on rankin is red w/ white hardtop. anybody know whose they are?

I think I may have actually seen the one you are talking about on Rankin. Can't be sure. However, I have seen one on Kirby south of 59. Its a pretty yellow with a white top.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
pooterpot said:
That orange one has been in that shop for over a year w/out anything new done to it since I first saw it. I think it belongs to a guy in Humble that has several Broncos (if I remember right).

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Coob said:
Coach, I may just give it a shot. Its nice to know a shop where other Bronco owners place some faith. ;D ;D Not only that but knowing the shop has the expertise.

I hate to take my baby to a place where they don't even know what a Bronco is.
lmao ;D ;)

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
coachbarnes said:
I shot him a note with Alvin's contact info -- what the heck does imao mean? is that some sort of socal secret handshake thing? ;D

see ya in a week or so amigo -- Scott
Laff
My
Ass
Off

OP
OP
Coob

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
broncow72 said:

Yep - I know its pretty pathetic. But I had to fight the wife and sell my boat to get my '77. If some body shop tore it up or something happened, i'd go postal.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Coob said:
Yep - I know its pretty pathetic. But I had to fight the wife and sell my boat to get my '77. If some body shop tore it up or something happened, i'd go postal.
Alvin wouldn't tear it up. He is not as versed in the science of broncology as he is in chevology. He is a restoration expert and extremely anal, that is all that matters. He has been doing body work since he was about 15, that gives him over 20 years experience. The bonus is that he is a 4x nut and all around good guy.