• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tfi distributor on a stock flat tappet cam

ponch0v

Gathering the parts for my mas efi conversion. Pulled a 5.0 tfi distributor from a 86 lincoln. I think that it was a roller motor, not sure.

Can I use this steel distributor gear on the stock iron cam shaft? If not what is the best way of changing it to iron gear? any good sources for the gear?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Should be able to swap gears as long as the shaft Dia is the same I know some roller dist have larger shafts chech with summit or fordmotorsports for new gears actually ford motorsports has a good tech line they can tell you exactly what you need

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
Im pretty sure only the 351W has the bigger diameter shaft. All the 302s ive seen can use the same distributor, dependent on the gear of course.

heylouie00

My EBay Mustang distributor had a larger bore gear than my stock dist. Every other mounting surface, etc. was identical (as far as I could tell)

I just took my stock cast iron gear & bored it out (on the lathe) & re-used it.

If I remember correctly the shoulders on the gears were slightly different, so I made sure that it mounted in the same spot as on the old dist.

I was in a hurry & I just couldn't wait to order the replacement gear...oh, by the way, that was like 3 months ago ...

--Craig

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
When I worked at O'Reilly's I ordered a cast gear for my buddy to use in his Stang. If I remember it was less than $10-15, but make sure you have a good parts guy, I knew where to go in the books....the computer parts catalog was worthless most of the time. I have customers that followed me from Advance Auto Parts because I liked to use the books more than the computer... They still give me hell that I quit... ;D