• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TFS High Port heads, anyone using?

theshadow

Im trying to pick up some heads for a 331 buildup but honestly dont know too much about the different characteristics besides the basics. Looking to build low-end of course. Id like to stay around 9:1 so I was thinking about dished pistons and a 64cc head. I was originally looking at the twisted wedge heads but just wondering how the High Port TFS heads compare. Anyone running them or just want to give a head newb some info?

dieselracer

Loc.
Citrus Heights, CA
I think if you use 2.02 or bigger valves on a low compression engine, it might cause you to have lower torque more HP. I have World Product Windsor Jr. heads with 1.94 valves. I think they are a good compromise between better flowing heads and still having a torquey motor. I know the cam is going to be the major determining factor. If you keep the compression below 9.5:1 and use a cam that has a power band that starts at idle, you should be good.

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
Ive got a brand new pair of Windsor Jrs in the for sale section, theyd be good for low end torque. I was going to use them on my 351w but i went with a bigger head instead since im not really worried about low end torque, i wanted something thats fun to drive on the street.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I am using a set of trick flow twisted wedge heads and I love them.

Same here. Plenty of low end torque. big valves won't kill low end torque, wrong cam will.

anyway about the high port. If I remember right, the exhaust ports are relocated. this will make nearly any exhaust manifold/header a no fit situation.

But the regular twisted wedge have been working great for some 9 years now, and I got mine used back then.

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
just wondering how the High Port TFS heads compare.
they work really good at 6-7000 rpm on a full race motor. the ex ports are up higher and have a different bolt pattern to accommodate huge primaries.

Looking to build low-end of course.

then you would be happier with a 'street' style head that has ports designed for real world rpm range.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
You may want to look at the fit and finish of the heads too, since you aren't doing a peak HP dyno queen. Been awhile since I looked, but know Edelbrock uses helicoils in there bolt holes. That meant alot to me.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X3 on the TFS twisted wedge I run them on my 302 with .030 over bore and a RV cam runs great. While I'm sure that smaller valves would build a little more torque I dont think I've lost enough to make a differance and bigger valved heads will help that stroker motor. I've also got a set of world product heads with smaller valves I plan on using on my other bronco one day.

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Thanks for all the input guys, im sure there will be more questions coming!

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

ok, outside of head make, seems like if I run 61cc heads and dished pistons ill be running somewhere around 9.3:1 or so, and if I ran 64cc heads and dished pistons, id be somewhere around 8.9-9:1. Would it be worth it to be able to run lower octane gas safely with the 64s without sacrificing too much performance? That didnt come out the way I wanted but thats as good as i could word it....:-[

Broncobowsher

Total hack
9.3 with an aluminium head shoud be fine for 87 octane. Especially in cool weather of Alaska. Cam timing and quench will have a bigger effect then 3cc of volume in the head.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 9.3 is about where you need it. Also check with your cam manufacturer for there recommendation on compression ratio for the cam your running. Most RV type cams run well between 8.5-1 and 10-1. As was mentioned aluminum heads can always take a little more compression than iron heads and still run 87 octane

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Im thinking about a custom-ground Erson cam. The local machine shop really likes the detail they get into about what the customer wants their engine to do. Anybody ever dealt with Erson? Also, whats the difference between the TFS heads that are o-ringed or not? (whats the functionality of the o-ring?)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The O-ring reciever groove is for some special head gaskets. supposidly more reisstant to blowing out under race conditions. For me it was replace every couple of years as they would start leaking. Not bad, but pushing compression into the cooling system. Which would push the water out and make it run hot. Finally had the heads milled to get rid of the POS grooves and put in some MLS gaskets and been good since.

Don't get the grooves. More issues then they solve.

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

The O-ring reciever groove is for some special head gaskets. supposidly more reisstant to blowing out under race conditions. For me it was replace every couple of years as they would start leaking. Not bad, but pushing compression into the cooling system. Which would push the water out and make it run hot. Finally had the heads milled to get rid of the POS grooves and put in some MLS gaskets and been good since.

Don't get the grooves. More issues then they solve.

good to know, appreciate the tip!

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
The groove is for SC/forced induction engines. I would never run them on an non SC/forced induction engine.

I have the TFS heads on my 65 fastback and have been running them for about 6 years now. I have a stock 94 GT bottom end with an X303 cam and a 750 DP carb. The car pulls great from about 1500 rpm and up. I run a 3.50 gear out back with a 5 speed trans. I also use high octane gas but that was by my choice, not because I had to.

I would run this set up in a Bronco if I owned one. The bronco would have to be a manual trans and I would run a smaller carb on the bronco due to the EB being heavier than the mustang.

As for which head to use. You will find that who ever recommends a cylinder head does so because they are running that head on a current set up or have in the past. When I bought my heads I liked the TFS over the AFR heads for a couple os reasons. One I like the idea of being able to run a 2.02 valve and not have to notch the stock pistons because the TFS have a canted valve design just like the Boss 302 heads or 351C heads. Second was the flow numbers. All though the AFR heads flow more they come fully CNC ported and the TFS heads do not and almost flow the same numbers. Of course on most of our engine builds this would not make enough difference to ever notice. So it really is a matter of preference. Third thing was Trick Flow was not far from me when I lived in Ohio and had bought the heads. At the time I bought my TFS heads they were cheaper than the AFR heads also. I couldn't see spending a few hundred more on a set of heads that hardly flowed any more than what I was buying.

Both companys had issues with their heads when they first came out but have since improved on them greatly. AFR heads had casting issues and the early TFS heads had a valve trian geometry issue that caused early valve train failures. I did a lot of reading before I made my choice and I had spoken with TF on the phone about their past issues. Been happy with my choice but I really don't think you will notice any difference in performance or power between the two heads.

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

The groove is for SC/forced induction engines. I would never run them on an non SC/forced induction engine.

I have the TFS heads on my 65 fastback and have been running them for about 6 years now. I have a stock 94 GT bottom end with an X303 cam and a 750 DP carb. The car pulls great from about 1500 rpm and up. I run a 3.50 gear out back with a 5 speed trans. I also use high octane gas but that was by my choice, not because I had to.

I would run this set up in a Bronco if I owned one. The bronco would have to be a manual trans and I would run a smaller carb on the bronco due to the EB being heavier than the mustang.

As for which head to use. You will find that who ever recommends a cylinder head does so because they are running that head on a current set up or have in the past. When I bought my heads I liked the TFS over the AFR heads for a couple os reasons. One I like the idea of being able to run a 2.02 valve and not have to notch the stock pistons because the TFS have a canted valve design just like the Boss 302 heads or 351C heads. Second was the flow numbers. All though the AFR heads flow more they come fully CNC ported and the TFS heads do not and almost flow the same numbers. Of course on most of our engine builds this would not make enough difference to ever notice. So it really is a matter of preference. Third thing was Trick Flow was not far from me when I lived in Ohio and had bought the heads. At the time I bought my TFS heads they were cheaper than the AFR heads also. I couldn't see spending a few hundred more on a set of heads that hardly flowed any more than what I was buying.

Both companys had issues with their heads when they first came out but have since improved on them greatly. AFR heads had casting issues and the early TFS heads had a valve trian geometry issue that caused early valve train failures. I did a lot of reading before I made my choice and I had spoken with TF on the phone about their past issues. Been happy with my choice but I really don't think you will notice any difference in performance or power between the two heads.

I was thinking about the AFRs but since im going to run a TFS intake i figure if they are both more or less the same why not run TFS heads and parts match. So I will be going with the TFS 61cc twisted wedge street heads.... Non-o-ringed;D