• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thanksgiving ER Trip

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
Well. I did it. Burned the he!! out of my eyes. When welding I was wearing a mask, but when I was holding the new panels in place for tack. I only closed and had my head turned.

Woke up around midnight unable to sleep due to intense pain. Hurt to open my eyes, keep them closed, and light sensitive. Had my wife take me to the ER and they put some drops in to numb them. Made them feel better and was able to at least see. After the 2 1/2 hr wait in the room at the hospital I was finally released.

Woke up this past morning and felt a ton better, but still a slight burning sensation.

I have learned that no matter: welding or not that I am now always going to have on eye protection.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Good advice. Plus, when tacking without a full face shield people don't think about the skin cancer risk

sevenTseven

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
Ouch, at least you had the wife there to help you out, I was much too drunk to come down and get ya. ;D I kid, I kid.

Last weekend I bought a new auto-darkening helmet because I was getting occasional bright flashes from my old one. Cut, scrapes and stitches are one thing, screwing up my vision is on a whole different level.

Hope you make a full and speedy recovery. :)

tcb42

Ya my dad had a similar experience and said it felt like sand had gotten in is eyes. No thank you.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I wish you could buy those drops over the counter. They are great. Ken thats funny, wear some ear plugs. It sounds so cool when that hot stuff gets in your ear.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Bad news, good luck. I have an auto dark just for this reason. Bought it from Northern tools for less that $70 I think. For what I do it's fine, it I did it for a living I would buy a better one. You only get one set of eyes so protect them.

j.blakeslee

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NASSUA NY
Kyle ...I had that happen a few time's... I like the digging the metal out of my eye the best thu(dr digging in there with a needleLOVVE THAT)..and have your pants catch on fire...thats fun aswell.

Johnny

Yeah the doctor digging in your eye with a needle rocks.... or my personal favorite is him grinding the "rust ring" out of your eye with a dremel tool... god thats awesome...

j.blakeslee

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NASSUA NY
Yeah the doctor digging in your eye with a needle rocks.... or my personal favorite is him grinding the "rust ring" out of your eye with a dremel tool... god thats awesome...

LOL... ya that does rock...lol. OR when he give ya the old your got some thing in the other eye... let me get that for ya.... oh it's been in there awhile...but ill get in out for ya...thanks buddy.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I watched Drbronco69 get his fingers caught in his 4 1/2" hand grinder between the grinding wheel and the wheel guard.
Damn that looked like it hurt like hell, but he only looked at it and shrugged it off. Cut his fingers pretty good.

Thank God it wasn't a cut-off wheel.

Johnny

I watched Drbronco69 get his fingers caught in his 4 1/2" hand grinder between the grinding wheel and the wheel guard.

I did that once... had just put a new grinding disk in it... man that hurt like hell... just about lost the tip of that finger... I forget how many stitches it took to keep it there...

msweb

Bronco Guru
Kyle ...I had that happen a few time's... I like the digging the metal out of my eye the best thu(dr digging in there with a needleLOVVE THAT)..and have your pants catch on fire...thats fun aswell.

Just last week I was doing some welding and couldn't figure out what the strange smell was and where all the smoke was coming from... Then I look down and see my pants leg was on fire :eek: A cherry had landed in a fold in my jeans and was burning away. Because of the paralysis, I don't feel my legs. Sometimes that turns out to be a good thing! Didn't burn me bad but now I keep an eye out for it - and don't weld in my "good" clothes...

Biggest lesson I still need to learn - Don't weld something close to you and then lean over it to weld something on the otherside... That chit stays hot for a long time! %)

Glad you're ok Kyle, I can only imagine how bad it hurt!

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Ahh, I remember my first visit to the ER at 3am with welders flash....my wife provided zero sympathy on that visit.

LOL on the slag in the ear...been there done that too.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Put a potato in the fridge and the next time it happens, and believe me ... it will happen , cut two slices and place them on your eyes and tie them to your head with a towel or bandanna . Drink a shot of whatever booze you have and then go to bed . Alcohol goes straight to your eyes and desensitizes them . The starch or iodine and coolness of the potato moisturizes the dry eyeballs and you will be better in the morning . Save your money for the next time you cut something off and want it to be sewed back on all nice and pretty . If you don't care how pretty it is or if it works very well ... super glue is a husband's best friend ;D

howiebilt

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I am not too sure about the super glue but the potato thing does work. i did not know about the alcohol going to the eyes? That would explain a few other things as well.%)