• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"The Beast" - Explorer 5.0/ZF/NP203/NP205 is ALIVE!

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
I'm rolling a '68, don't worry about it Shawn. I appreciate the offer, but I'll just be sure to wear lots of clothing. Kyle wants me to run my tube doors so I'll probably end up running those.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Took it for its first road test to get the wife some food from Gustav's
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
It was fun, definitely have to get used to the SUPER SOFT suspension but I can tell it is going to be insane out on the trails Sunday. I also took the empty lot next door for a spin with my 2 year old strapped in...do it again daddy, do it again!!! Brakes feel awesome, gearing is perfect, gear banger was flawless. I'm a little jazzed, can you tell? :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Attachments

• cruisin1.jpg
    cruisin1.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 365
  • cruisin2.jpg
    cruisin2.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 279
  • cruisin4.jpg
    cruisin4.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Cage and top should happen within the next 2 weeks. Nate has the cage all done and is waiting for the welder to finish it up, here is a pic, I also had him add a few gussets in the rear, handles in the front, a tailgate support and a front seat kit too.
Rick is pretty close to having my soft top done too.

Attachments

• Crab_Cage_007.jpg
    Crab_Cage_007.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Crab_Cage_006.jpg
    Crab_Cage_006.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 179

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
That is going to be really nice when everything gets installed (its nice now, just will be safer, & more water tight). I was thinking you better keep that painted a color that Jocelyn doesn't care for or you will end up with the soon to be pink '76.;D ;) . I am looking forward to going willing with it, and see all that hard work out on the trails flexing. Soon I will have you over helping me (just need to find that tree that money grows on). Sunday should be a good time,;)

Shawn

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Alright here are a few pics from the first trip out on Sunday to Tillamook Forest. It did very very very well, extremely happy with the suspension, np435, tires, lockers, gears, everything!!! Cant wait to get the cage in next week that way I can take some of the tougher trails. Gear Banger coupler broke so I gotta fix that but otherwise everything did as it should.

Attachments

• tsf8.jpg
    tsf8.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 155
  • tsf7.jpg
    tsf7.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 146
  • tsf6.jpg
    tsf6.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 164
  • tsf5.jpg
    tsf5.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 146
  • tsf3.jpg
    tsf3.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 165
  • tsf4.jpg
    tsf4.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 180
  • tsf2.jpg
    tsf2.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 175
  • tsf1.jpg
    tsf1.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 191
  • tsf12.jpg
    tsf12.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 289
  • tsf11.jpg
    tsf11.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 142
  • tsf10.jpg
    tsf10.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 126
  • tsf9.jpg
    tsf9.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 128
OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Here are a few more

Attachments

• tsf20.jpg
    tsf20.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 154
  • tsf18.jpg
    tsf18.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 98
  • tsf19.jpg
    tsf19.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 83
  • tsf17.jpg
    tsf17.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 162
  • tsf16.jpg
    tsf16.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 106
  • tsf15.jpg
    tsf15.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 88
  • tsf14.jpg
    tsf14.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 71
  • tsf13.jpg
    tsf13.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 91
  • tsf21.jpg
    tsf21.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 83
  • tsfgroup.jpg
    tsfgroup.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 166

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Kick A$$... Looks like a good time.. I'm jealous... Very well worth all the effort once you get to go test her out...

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
And if you were wondering, yes I took the top off after a little while, it was a beautiful day and that half cab top (which is rusted thru almost the whole way around) wasnt going to do much in a rollover anyways. And yes the top was off when we hit the mud hole (we hit 4 of them with the top off). Now that was fun! Here is a pic of Kyle after one of them.

Attachments

• mudspray.jpg
    mudspray.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 208

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
LOL.. My little ones *11 & 12* are looking forward to the day I take them wheelin.. And the Beast rolls on.. :cool:

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Ah come on Jesse, I had 5 or 6 miles before I took it out. I took it pretty easy on the trails, nothing crazy but yeah it isnt the recommended technique :-X
I did vary my rpm level as recommended. I need to figure out a few things before too much more on the street, its got a case of some death wobble. Not sure what it is but I will start eliminating things. No bump steer though.
At about 35 the wobble sets in, not sure what it is, I need to throw on some street tires to check if it is the tires or the steering and then go from there.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I'm just pokin fun, mainly cause I'm jealous that I couldn't come.:cry:
I thought they recommend at least 7 miles of road driving for break in :p
Isn't you entire front end new or rebuilt?
Gotta be alignment or tire imbalance????

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
It is ALL new. I took it off the trailer today and started feeling around, my track bar has the threaded ends (welded bung inserts) and was loose (jam nuts not tight) so that may contribute but I am sure not totally since there really isnt any give. I will throw some street tires on tonight and test it out.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
That's the first GearBanger breakage I've heard of. How did it break? What spare parts should I carry for mine (newly installed and have not yet hit the trails with it).

Thanks

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
One of the bolts on that coupler that holds onto the 435 stub stripped out and disappeared on the trail, I didnt notice it till the second one bent in half and let go of the stub. We used a hose clamp and vice grips, wheeled over half the day with the trail fix, couldnt get into 1st or 3rd (too loosy goosy) but I had a trailer. I would suggest carrying a spare 435 shifter with you, they are easy to pop in and out. I have been trying to find a spare one since before I went out just in case. I plan to weld that coupler to the 435 stub so it WONT ever break.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Make sure you use lock-tight on the bolts. We used a hose clamp (same size as heater hose) and some vise grips to firm it up. I don't think Josh used any lock-tight at the time and believe one of the screws backed out. But then again the threads were pretty trashed, almost all gone. I would just check it from time to time, others have had no trouble at all, could of been a fluke thing.

Shawn