• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"The fit" 400 in an EB

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Just thought I would post a few pictures of how good the 400 fits in the bronco. I made the final adjustments and built the trans cross member so the 400 is in its final position. Now I need headers and an injection system. Not an good without pictures.;D

Have some cookies

Bax

Attachments

• P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 308
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 246
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 240
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Yes those are spacers on the heads. They will allow me to use a 351C intake. Also they have been drilled for injectors. Edelbrock is making a nice dual plane intake for the 351C, the 400 intake choices are kind of limited. check out ford muscle. com, they have a write up on the 400 build by Tim Meyer and injection stuff made for the 400.

Mad, I still need to figure out how to build the injector system.

Bax

welndmn

Bronco Guru
On my friends 400, we used 5.0 parts and a tweeker to get get SEFI
fronttb.jpg

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Hey Mark is there a writeup somewhere on that setup? Did your friend mill the injector bosses into the manifold himself or buy it somewhere? How about that elbow, is that a stock piece from something? I'm assuming he made the adapter (manifold to elbow) himself? My brother is getting ready to do SEFI on his 351 cleveland and is looking for ideas. There's an outfit that sells machined 4-barrel manifolds and adapter elbows but they're pretty spendy. Thanks!

BTW, great thread here bax! I've always liked the 400 and often thought it would make a nice swap into an EB. Keep up the campaign against ignorant people calling it a 400M :)

Dusty

welndmn

Bronco Guru
He had a machine shop mill the bosses (Stock edlebrock mainfold) off the 5.0 fuel rails, then bought larger rails (their was a clearence issue on the back with the stock rails.
The adapter from elbow to TB is homemade, the TB is stock 460 EFI parts.
The Dist was a mix and match, of 460 shaft, with the 5.0 holo switch.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Hey Mark is there a writeup somewhere on that setup? Did your friend mill the injector bosses into the manifold himself or buy it somewhere? How about that elbow, is that a stock piece from something? I'm assuming he made the adapter (manifold to elbow) himself? My brother is getting ready to do SEFI on his 351 cleveland and is looking for ideas. There's an outfit that sells machined 4-barrel manifolds and adapter elbows but they're pretty spendy. Thanks!

BTW, great thread here bax! I've always liked the 400 and often thought it would make a nice swap into an EB. Keep up the campaign against ignorant people calling it a 400M :)

Dusty

Dusty-here's another writeup on the 351C with EFI. Fordmuscle.com also has an article on it, but they are a subscription site.

1975SPORT

Loc.
Hood River, Oregon
If you dont mind me asking, how much money do you expect to have into the 400 when everything is done. Sounds like a really cool idea Im just wondering if it wouldnt be cheaper to stroke a 351 and inject that. Not raining on parade, just wondering...either way thats pretty cool stuff that you are doing adapting everything. Cant wait to see everything done.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
it probably would be sheeper to stroke a 351 , but if you are gonna go from a 302 to a 351 that would NOT be cost effective to go just 49 cubs for all that work, Why not go 98 cubes , OR better yet 132 cubes;D

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Bax,
You got me going again. Now I really feel the need to finish my 393clevor mill......

Not to steal your thread but here is a 351C4V fitted in a 77 uncut stocker......;D :cool:

I just need to crimp up the MSD wires and a fuel line to start this one up but I've been saying this since January......

Can I say sleeper?

Attachments

• DSC02309.JPG
    DSC02309.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC02310.JPG
    DSC02310.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC02311.JPG
    DSC02311.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 41

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
If you dont mind me asking, how much money do you expect to have into the 400 when everything is done. Sounds like a really cool idea Im just wondering if it wouldnt be cheaper to stroke a 351 and inject that. Not raining on parade, just wondering...either way thats pretty cool stuff that you are doing adapting everything. Cant wait to see everything done.

I have done a lot of looking into this, asking the same question. I have a 400 available to put into my EB. From what I have found, even with me already having a 400 to start with, it would be more expensive to put in a fuel-injected 400 than a fuel-injected stroked 351. It is close, but slightly more expensive to put the 400 in.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I suspect he's putting the 400 in because he WANTS TO RUN A 400, not because he thinks it might be cheaper than something else when trying to pencil out the price per cubic inch. He'll have something very few others have, that he did himself, and you can't really put a price on that. I like it.

Dusty

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member

The 400 is cheaper to build. If you look at the HP and torque #'s that the 400 makes without any fancy parts you would see that you would be sinking more money into the windsor just to match the 400. So it makes better #'s cheaper. However factory ford injection is hard to beat. The windsors had it stock and you can pick it up at most junkyards, and if you want aftermarket setup's the windsor is supported very well. The 400 never had a stock injection setup and it still has very little aftermarket support. It's out there but you have to hunt for it. I am sure I will spend more money to inject the 400 than it takes to inject the windsors. So I think it is a push when it comes to total cost. So at this point you go with what you like. I like the 400.

Bax

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My .02 on the 400C v stroked 351W comparison: It's not an easy comparison to make..very dependent on level of build in each case (duh). If you compare a 408W with *sombody's* aftermarket heads (to be equal to the Aussies that Bax is running you have to buy aftermarket aluminum heads for the W) and you run an EFI setup on the 408W that can account for all the mods (with a TwEECer, for example) to make the Ford EFI behave properly..then the 408C might still be slightly cheaper to build. But there are so many variables that can make it swing either way. And the fully worked Aussie heads for the 400C are not much cheaper than many aluminum heads out there now for the 351W.

If you simply take a stock 400C, stock 8:1 heads - only mildly built, and bolt the 351W EFI top end on it(they make intake adapter plates for that too)..then it is definitely the cheapest way to get 408 cubic inches of reliable oomph..but who wants to stay stock?;D