• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The fun continues... Front axle issues

quikdrummer

Loc.
Chino Valley, AZ
So I got my suspension and steering figured out. Put new hubs and wheel bearings in, which was a good thing as both outer bearings were coming apart. Went to test the new hubs, locked them in and when I tried to go in reverse, the front tires locked up after about 10 feet. Hmmmm... So today I pull the diff cover and find that my pinion gear is chewed up. BAD. Chunks of teeth are floating in the bottom of the diff. AWESOME, I just found another project for this thing! It never ends!

If only i had the money for a rebuilt 44, now would be the time for that project. too bad im broke.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That sucks, but if you're broke and have a Dana 30, that's not such a bad combination since guys here seemingly give those away all of the time. Post up a wanted ad and/or mention your gear ratio and maybe someone can help you out.

OP
OP
quikdrummer

quikdrummer

Loc.
Chino Valley, AZ
already got a message offering me a r&p set ;D

problem is his is a d44, mine is a d30, will the ring gear fit on my carrier and have clearance in the housing, is the pinion too long, etc... basically will a d44 gear set work in a d30 housing?

i tried searching the forum but couldnt find a definitive answer...