• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

the ol softtop debate: specialty top now or wait for new besttop?

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
I heard the the current Best Top soft top isn't as good as the current Specialty Top but that Best Top is coming out with one next year that will be even better. My question is, should I try to wait until next year (could be fall!) or just buy a specialty top now? How much better is it going to be? And what time of year might this come out - I don't want to miss next summer's nice weather..<br><br>Also, anyone have ideas on getting used ones just to hold me over? This nice weather is just killing me!<br><br>

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I'm interested in this too...<br><br>You know what really kills me about this weather...I thought Summer in Seattle was finishing up when we had that week of Gray, so I started tearing my rig down to get it ready for hunting season, now its all apart in the shop, and I haven't been able to drive it!! Gotta take a day off to get it back together before the weather really does go back to normal!

75_Bronco

Loc.
Arlington, Tx
dude see if you can find a used kayline soft top. i have one and it keeps rain out great, you can also roll the sides up and its its pretty easy to install.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=greasergrrl link=board=5;threadid=8936;start=0#63783 date=1031689081]<br>I just found a best top super top for $599 no tax and free shipping. I'm soooo tempted...<br>[/quote]<br><br>I'd wait or just get a Specialty Top-don't gamble on their current ones. They won't have anything redesigned until next year sometime, I'm certain.<br><br>Todd Z.

Trevor

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I too went back and forth on this when the new Bestop Super Top came out it seemed great, but I still liked the look of Kayline which was out of business. I like the straight back from the window frame look of the STC top of cousre the drawback is that you have to use a drop bracket for you windshield wiper motor. The STC also seems to look "tighter". If you look back through the threads on this board you'll find people who like and dislike each top (seems like more dislike the Bestop). I justed ordered a STC with tinted zip out windows (it is on back order).<br>I now I'm falling into a foreigners view of the Northwest of assuming it is all close together, but Tom's Bronco Parts is somewhere near you and he has the black Bestop on sale for $549.<br>Trevor

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
No way dont do it for the few bucks more buy the Speciality top, the zip out windows are the way to go. I was relieved that I had bought my new Kayline top just before they went out of buisness and bummed when Speciality came out with their zip out windows and you now can get tinted or clear or both or rip a window and buy a replacement. Old style tops and those small windows in the Besttop suck in my opinion. Its your dollars so spend it anyway you want. Bestop had years to design a good top for us and wouldnt compete with Kayline and Kayline had always supported us and now that Speciality tops took over and revamped right away things are looking good for us again. You really cant count on what a manufacturer might do only on what hits the market floor.

Tazz

Loc.
Sac. River Delta, CA
I have the current Bestop on mine and like it quite well. I've had it on for about 8 months now with out any issues. I like the fact that all of the windows zip out instead of rolling up.<br><br>Tazz

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Todd Z<br> What's your opinion on the Bestop Supertop? <br> Pros and Cons?<br> madgyver

Benzo

Loc.
SF Bay Area
I am very happy with my STC top. I really like being able to remove the windows for the warm/hot days. It takes about three minute to either remove or replace all three windows. I don't mind the drop bracket for the wiper motor either. I think I will try to hack up my visor cover so I can hide the wiper arms and put my visors back on. I had to drill two holes in the body, two small holes in the windsheild frame and four small holes in the tailgate. It took me about three hours to install the top and about 30 minutes to fine tune the fit.

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My vote is for the current STC over anything Bestop produces. I have the new one with tinted, removable windows. The only complaint I have is that Kayline powder-coated their hardware but STC doesn't.

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
yeah but the best top also has zip out windows, doesn't it? says so right here:

http://www.tops4less.com/comsoonbrbro.html

but the window size is smaller on a best top?

ok never mind - i just looked at photos. ok, i ordered a specialty top from tom's broncos.

as drew told me at SOB, there's a fine line between being decisive and impulsive... ;)

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=madgyver link=board=5;threadid=8936;start=0#63855 date=1031704727]<br>Todd Z<br> What's your opinion on the Bestop Supertop? <br> Pros and Cons?<br> madgyver<br>[/quote]<br><br>It's an OK top, but it definitely needs a redesign, which I think it will get by early next year.<br><br>Pros: Good quality hardware(STC's looks homemade in comparison), no need for a wiper motor bracket, good sealing around windows, ability to open tailgate w/o opening top, good quality materials.<br><br>Cons: Loose, floppy fit in the rear(my biggest complaint), looks(subjective).<br><br>After our meeting with Bestop this past weekend, I honestly believe they will work to fix the issues with the current version. They know it has problems and they're also committed to making a good top.<br><br>Todd Z.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=toddz69 link=board=5;threadid=8936;start=0#64127 date=1031770953]<br><br>After our meeting with Bestop this past weekend.......<br>[/quote]<br><br>So are you on the books now as a field tester? ;)

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=jeepster link=board=5;threadid=8936;start=0#64133 date=1031771882]<br>[quote author=toddz69 link=board=5;threadid=8936;start=0#64127 date=1031770953]<br><br>So are you on the books now as a field tester? ;)<br>[/quote]<br><br>I volunteered :). We'll see if anything comes of it.<br><br>Todd Z.[/quote]