• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The real vintage air ac

joshua

Contributor
Must work off forced air? But anyway my parents owned a dry cleaners growing up. We had swamp coolers. They did little to cool. Only because where we lived was 95% humidity during summer. So the water really didn’t evaporate to cause the cooling effect. I’m sure in a dry climate they work.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
They do look cool on old VW Bugs and buses but they are almost too vintage for an early Bronco.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
My family from LA area had one of those we used on the trip from MS to CA on the southern route in May of ‘72 and it would almost freeze us out of the car. It’s the only time I’ve ever had to get a blanket to get warm in a car in May.
Didn’t know they were called “Swamp Cooler”.

Randy

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Must work off forced air? But anyway my parents owned a dry cleaners growing up. We had swamp coolers. They did little to cool. Only because where we lived was 95% humidity during summer. So the water really didn’t evaporate to cause the cooling effect. I’m sure in a dry climate they work.
That's correct - they only work in dry climates. Swamp coolers were popular here in the desert for years - my first home had one and I used it up until early July every summer when the humidity got too high and it didn't work well anymore. I only had to run my AC about 2 months out of the year when my swamp cooler was working well.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
They do look cool on old VW Bugs and buses but they are almost too vintage for an early Bronco.
True! Those were more common on '50s and early '60s cars.

Todd Z.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
replica?
for looks only?
Yes, it does say it's a replica and non-functioning unit in the description, so @1969 don't buy this if you want any cooling.

Looks kinda neat on the right vehicle but I don't think that would look good on a Bronco not to mention our windows are small enough as it is!

Quick & Dirty

On a Bronco, just put a wet towel in the cowl air box. Pour some water on it when you stop for gas.

Wrightracing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2034111311...d=link&campid=5335857059&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Has anyone ever run a cooler like this? I’ve seen them around and think they’re pretty neat.
My Grandparents had one of those on their 1950's Ford Station wagon. It did ok in our trips to Utah and Idaho when I was a kid. I don't remember those trips, because in 1972 they got a Oldsmobile 98 with modern AC that did great. I was born in 71, so I was 1 year old when they had that cooler

David