• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Restoration Begins

macdickey

Hi all,

New member here and decently new to the Ford world. Came from a GM family and my familiarity has been with the squarebody and newer GM trucks, having restored a 1974 Blazer and 1978 c10. Started my Ford journey when my wife ordered and received a new Maverick hybrid and I've been really impressed with what Ford is doing (short of making delivery times).

Anyway, I just happened upon a Bronco for sale relatively close to me (Arkansas) and was able to buy it at a decent price as well as a tub with a handful of parts. I'm coming to this forum as I'm seeking advice on the paths to take as I'm unfamiliar with Ford tech. I've been reading a slew of forums and learning what I can. What I need help on are the following:

1. VIN on frame (U15GLE13645) does not match VIN on glovebox door (U15GLK45203). I assume go by frame as the glovebox door does appear to not match the same wear and tear as the dash and is far easier to replace. I've been told that the GLE code is for a 1969 and the GLK is for a 1971, but I don't have a Marti report yet.
  2. Engine options - I'm reading the best route to go is a 90's fuel injected 302. Any engines to stay away from or pursue? The intake on the explorer motors is... definitely out of place on a classic bronco. But the mustang has accessory fitment issues and I'm unsure on what to do with the computer. The motor that came with the truck (literally in the cab) is a 200 i6.
  3. Transmission - I would like to keep it manual but with a floor shifted 5 speed. M5R2? AX15? NV****? Any suggestions based on clutch pedal assemblies, fitment, adapters needed, etc. are very much appreciated.
  4. Transfer case - I've read great things about the D20. Pretty satisfied with keeping that unless the np205 is just that much of an improvement.
  5. Axles/diffs - Hoping to keep my stock axles through the drivetrain options listed. What is ideal gearing for these if the goal is smooth driving/fuel economy (I know, sort of a joke with these but one can try).
Here's some photos on Imgur. Just got her cleaned up yesterday and already itching to get her on the road again.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome! You've come to the BEST place possible for all things Early Bronco.

Contributor
  1. VIN on frame (U15GLE13645) does not match VIN on glovebox door (U15GLK45203). I assume go by frame as the glovebox door does appear to not match the same wear and tear as the dash and is far easier to replace. I've been told that the GLE code is for a 1969 and the GLK is for a 1971, but I don't have a Marti report yet.
  2. Engine options - I'm reading the best route to go is a 90's fuel injected 302. Any engines to stay away from or pursue? The intake on the explorer motors is... definitely out of place on a classic bronco. But the mustang has accessory fitment issues and I'm unsure on what to do with the computer. The motor that came with the truck (literally in the cab) is a 200 i6.
  3. Transmission - I would like to keep it manual but with a floor shifted 5 speed. M5R2? AX15? NV****? Any suggestions based on clutch pedal assemblies, fitment, adapters needed, etc. are very much appreciated.
  4. Transfer case - I've read great things about the D20. Pretty satisfied with keeping that unless the np205 is just that much of an improvement.
  5. Axles/diffs - Hoping to keep my stock axles through the drivetrain options listed. What is ideal gearing for these if the goal is smooth driving/fuel economy (I know, sort of a joke with these but one can try).

1. Frame vin and title are all that matters.
2. What’s your goal with this Bronco?
3. Again, what’s your goal with this Bronco? I put a ZF5 in mine because I wanted a granny low first gear and an overdrive fifth.
4. The Dana 20 is great and works for a lot of people. But I paired the NP205 with the ZF5 trans and one ton axles. The Dana 20 is wimpy in comparison to the NP205 but the low range is wimpy compared to the Dana 20s.
5. Do you plan to wheel? What size tires?

Last edited:
OP
OP
macdickey

macdickey

1. Frame vin and title are all that matters.
2. What’s your goal with this Bronco?
3. Again, what’s your goal with this Bronco? I put a ZF5 in mine because I wanted a granny low first gear and an overdrive fifth.
4. The Dana 20 is great and works for a lot of people. But I paired the NP205 with the ZF5 trans and one ton axles. The Dana 20 is wimpy in comparison to the NP205 but the low range is wimpy compared to the Dana 20s.
5. Do you plan to wheel? What size tires?
The goal with this Bronco is to build a functional daily. No show pony, not a rock crawler, just something that looks great and runs well without breaking the bank. Is this reasonable or naive?

Thanks for the info on the transfer case, if I find a good deal on an np205 I think I'll take that route.

I don't really plan to wheel, so some standard 31-33" BFG KO2's on the stock steelies is the most likely route.

Contributor
The goal with this Bronco is to build a functional daily. No show pony, not a rock crawler, just something that looks great and runs well without breaking the bank. Is this reasonable or naive?

Thanks for the info on the transfer case, if I find a good deal on an np205 I think I'll take that route.

I don't really plan to wheel, so some standard 31-33" BFG KO2's on the stock steelies is the most likely route.

I’d stick with a 302, AX15 and Dana 20 and keep the axles you have.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
First, Welcome to the Bronco world!

Do you have a title? Does it match the frame? I would make sure the frame and title match before you spend a lot of money on the Bronco. If the title matches the glovebox you may have issues registering it.

Your tub (the brown one) is a 69. Looks like it originally had the Ranch Hand option. The front fenders look like replacements from a different year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
macdickey

macdickey

First, Welcome to the Bronco world!

Do you have a title? Does it match the frame? I would make sure the frame and title match before you spend a lot of money on the Bronco. If the title matches the glovebox you may have issues registering it.

Your tub (the brown one) is a 69. Looks like it originally had the Ranch Hand option. The front fenders look like replacements from a different year.
No title yet, swimming through that process (probably the reason I got a good deal on an early Bronco in 2023). It's looking like an Arkansas bonded title will be the route forward there.

Good info on the tub, thanks! There's no door sill VIN (unless it was painted over) so only have the frame and, well, the secondhand glovebox door.