• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

this is a 28 spline right?

fireman1749

Loc.
Clarksville, TN
e94a_1.JPG

broncoguy66

Sorry bud, but I counted 31 spline.

ye'r options: 28, 31, 35, 40?

Anyway, I counted 31. then 32, then 31 again. I'm going with 31.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Looking at the picture closer (Instead fo the EBay posting as a whole) I would have to agree. The flat spots are deceiving but 2 axle spline will go in each one. (The axles don't have flat spots in the splines)

72Sport

Bronco Guru
SaddleUp said:
Looking at the picture closer (Instead fo the EBay posting as a whole) I would have to agree. The flat spots are deceiving but 2 axle spline will go in each one. (The axles don't have flat spots in the splines)

I think you were right the first time. Four groups of 6 splines = 24 and one per 4 slots or 24 + 4 = 28.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
73stallion said:
that's wierd! the top left set of splines has 6, the rest have 7...
What I think is wierd is the flat spots. I can't figure out why they are there. Universal fit maybe to match up another rearend type? Or maybe it's to allow oil to get inside the spool? I guess that would make more sense.

BTW, If someone buys this be sure to upgrade to the chrome alloy cross shaft at the same time. I think they cost about $25 and that part is what usually breaks in the mini spool.

broncoguy66

I was always told to take a rat tail hand file to your cross shaft. If you leave any sort of groove then you need to upgrade. If you can just wipe away your mark then you have a hardened cross shaft. I haven't broken one yet..... but time will tell!