• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thoughts on Patching Sun Roof?

Bonefizz

Contributor
Loc.
The poor house
Bronco Folks!

I finally got my Bronco after years, no, decades of lusting after them and the hard top that came with my 69 has a big hole cut out for a sunroof. I'm not thrilled with the idea of a sunroof, so I'm wondering what the best way to patch the hole would be.

Anyone have experience with patching the sun roof hole? I'm not much of a welder yet, but I have buddies that I could call on if necessary. I'm just worried about warping.

Attachments

• 20161124_121607.jpg
    20161124_121607.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 87

Broncobowsher

Total hack
American southwest. There are a lot of good tops just sitting in back yards. Ignore the $500 and up ones, that is what a good non-rusty one goes for in the midwest. Put out some feelers and cap the offers at $200. Give it a little time and one will show up.

OP
OP
Bonefizz

Bonefizz

Contributor
Loc.
The poor house
Might want to think about skinning the while top. Yours looks like it's warped already. They seem expensive but you're going to save countless hours trying to make your old one straight after you weld a piece in.

That's what I'm afraid of. Time and frustration is worth something. Bronco Design also has this Fiberglass skin.

http://broncodesign.com/tn/product/hard-top-full-roof/

The Fiberglass might be a more sturdy option.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
You could do that fold back someone on here did. Its like one of those vw soft tops that pushes back and folds up without being a convertible. You cut a huge hole in the top and install it. It would work better with sliding side windows too

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Like some people said you can probably score a used one for a good deal. However if you want to save it and have a friend with a tig welder you could save it. If you try to MIG weld it you will probably warp the top beyond repair. A TIG can work at a lower more localized heat affected zone. Half the battle is cutting the filler piece so it fits PERFECT to minimize the welding needed. Make a piece out of something stiff like plastic sheeting and get it to fit perfect then transfer it to sheet metal. Cardboard in that size will be too flexible.

Good luck!

Also I did a stupid amount of body work making my top straight before I painted. I have a stock height truck. The only time or anyone else has seen all that body work is when I get on a stool to wash it. Don't lose your mind getting it straight it is not the hood.

OP
OP
Bonefizz

Bonefizz

Contributor
Loc.
The poor house
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I think I'm leaning towards reskinning it. Now, I need to decide on steel or fiberglass!

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
That is a whole lot of spot welds to drill out to re-skin. Then get it on straight w/o the rest of it being twisted etc. Off the truck the tops are flexible you would need to build a simple jig to keep it aligned.

You could mig weld it if you had really good discipline and only welded 1/4-1/2 section then moved 90 degrees and repeated to reduce heat build up. The finishing (grinding) needs to be cooled while you do it because mig welds are real hard and they get hot while grinding.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Or you could get annew skin. Use panel bond to glue it to the old skin and then put seam sealer in the drip rail to cover the edge. Use a headliner to cover up the inside hole. And wala. Solid top with no warping due to being double walled. ;)

Last edited:

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Wow, that sounds like a lot of potential for warping. Yikes.

When replacing quarters on muscle cars without an OEM full quarter that is usually how it is done. Long seem right across the quarters.

The longer you take the better it looks then some maniac grinds the weld down and warps the snot out of it trying to rush!

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Look on the internet for sunroof installers in your area. I live in a fairly big city and five local installers are listed. My second step would be to take my Bronco by all five for opinions, price estimates and inspections of their work before making a decision. Unless I could locate an very expert welder with a warranty on his work I would never attempt a weld on a thin Bronco hardtop.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,
Why not get a bigger pop up sunroof with a metal trim ring to install? My 1st hardtop had one installed and it was removable and awesome! One it let in a lot of fresh air, light, and the removable feature was easy to use. I think if you try to weld it you might ruin it.
Good luck.
Chris