• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tie rod end replacement???

Mowillie

Loc.
Boerne, Tx
can the rubber dust boots on the tie rod be replaced with out replacing the tie rods, ends, drag link, and all that stuff? i still get some drift with driving 50mph or more. with I put grease in the zert fittings on the ends is feels better when driving. but the grease squeezes out after i drive it. so I would like to replace the little dust boots.
any thoughts?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You probably just have wear in the tie rods ends. The grease just fills the gap for a short time even with new seals it will still squeeze out. But yes new seals can be installed. Most parts stores sell replacements and there are polyurethane ones availible.

OP
OP
Mowillie

Mowillie

Loc.
Boerne, Tx
yes, you are probably correct. too much play. so is that play in the actual tie rod end or where?

OP
OP
Mowillie

Mowillie

Loc.
Boerne, Tx
not sure which the worn out part typically is...so see my photo.
thanks for the info.

Attachments

• IMAG0983[1].jpg
    IMAG0983[1].jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 97

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Play could be in the steering box, frame flexing, drag link or tie rods. Could also be the track bar moving or even bad radius arm bushings.

Best bet is to have someone turn the steering wheel while you lay under the bronco looking for the slop.

Tim

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
have someone rock your steering wheel back and forth about 4" and watch each tie rod end, you'll be able to clearly see which one is worn.

barronj

Bronco Guru
My steering was a little sloppy, and I would get minor death wobble at 60mph. I had the wife work the wheel back & forth while I examined things, and I found the drag link slightly loose at the pitman arm. I put a washer btw the castle nut & the pitman arm & it got a lot better. Not sure why it needed the washer, and by that I mean that I don't undersand exactly what has worn out, causing that play.

When I installed the power steering on my 68, I just put the PS box that I'd bought without rebuilding it, or any other part of the steering. I'm sure it could all use refreshing.

Now that I have the DW eliminated, and better diagnosed, I'm prepared to move forward with my ZF swap.