• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tie Rod Over draglink reaming question.

stldesign

DdnV9Vv.png
[/IMG]

I hope someone here can help me. I'm doing a "early bronco" Tie Rod Over conversion on a 69 F100.

Everything is fine but here is what I'm ending up with after reaming the drag link. Using B.C. Broncos insert after reaming.

Should I just add some metal via welding to fill the void areas?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You will get arguments both ways here.

I'm on the side of 'fill it in.'

To my way of thinking, if Ford thought half as much contact or support was enough they would have built it that way.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BC has two of those inserts available, I use both, one fits inside the other, which will fill that void. I think they are listed as TRA-1 and TRO-1. You prob have the TRA's, you will need 2 of the TRO's which are larger OD and will fill the void, the TRA will fit inside the TRO. Call them to make sure, scroll down this page to tie rod over bushings
http://www.bcbroncos.com/steering1.html

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
BC has two of those inserts available, I use both, one fits inside the other, which will fill that void. I think they are listed as TRA-1 and TRO-1. You prob have the TRA's, you will need 2 of the TRO's which are larger OD and will fill the void, the TRA will fit inside the TRO. Call them to make sure, scroll down this page to tie rod over bushings
http://www.bcbroncos.com/steering1.html

Those don't really fill the gap we're talking about (shown in red):

Attachments

• hourglass 2.JPG
    hourglass 2.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 12

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tie rod over conversion with stock Bronco tie rod & drag link
You need two TRO-1 Tie Rod Over bushings and two TRA-1 Tie Rod Adapter bushings and one TRO-2 Drag Link bushing. This will also require reaming your knuckles and drag link. This conversion works with either the stock Bronco or the F-150 steering knuckles.

I believe the TRA-1 fills in the gap because it's a bigger ream, then you insert the TRO-1s INTO the TRA-1s. But call Chuck and ask him.

Joe473

Other option is to drill straight 3/4" and use a 3/4" to taper insert.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Those don't really fill the gap we're talking about (shown in red):

Basicly the red goes away when you hog the black taper deep enough. That makes the hole too large, so the sleeve fills the gap to make the hole the right size.

OP
OP
S

stldesign

I'll check it.... I do have 2 of the bigger inserts also for the knuckles. I have to use a big insert with a smaller insert inside just like the early Broncos.

I have 69 steering and a 1978 Dana 44.

But I still think I'll still have a slight void? Get back to you on it thanks for the responses.