• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tie Rod Over With F150 knuckles and Stock tie rods

stldesign

Tie Rod Over With F150 knuckles and Stock tie rods

Just talked to Wildhorses and they said that I could "stack" both the insert for a TRO conversion (which is for "big" f150 tie rods only) AND the insert that allows a small bronco tie rod to insert into a big F150 tie rod hole.

Does anyone make a single insert to do this?

I already have all the stock parts.

Also I guess I need an insert to install the drag link into the flipped tie rod.

Who makes this?

OP
OP
S

stldesign

Thanks FordBronc but those are for chevy tie rod conversion only. I'm just trying to find an alternative to using double inserts in one hole.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
What some do is weld the hole then drill and ream the taper from the top.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welding the hole is a tried and true method. But I'm sure one of the fab houses like Ruff Stuff could make the proper sleeve if they don't already have it.

That said, after reading your initial question I went out and grabbed the sleeves off the shelf and slipped them one into the other. Fit like a glove, so stacked sleeves or not, I wouldn't hesitate to double up for this purpose.
If it's even needed that is. I personally would have thought there was enough meat to use just the small one and be done with it, but if you need to ream out so much material that the larger one is called for, the small one isn't going anywhere once it's inserted and the rod end bolted in.
And if you forget to grease things up first, it won't be long before two sleeves turn into one sleeve after they rust together.;D

I understand the general lack of enthusiasm for stacking sleeves. Just doesn't sound right to me either. But I can't really think of a truly legitimate reason not to.

Paul