• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tilt Column Stock Wheel Combo?

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ididit Direct Fit Tilt Column. These have the same Splines as the stock original Column.

Wild Horses has the Direct Fit Columns. I would assume other vendors do too.

OP
OP
N

NickC24

Contributor
Ididit Direct Fit Tilt Column. These have the same Splines as the stock original Column.

Wild Horses has the Direct Fit Columns. I would assume other vendors do too.

I have seen those. You can only use late model (74-77) stock steering wheel. Not the original black one with the metal horn ring like the linked picture.

If vendors made it possible to use the old steering wheel with a modern tilt column they would sell like hot cakes.

I have contacted the builder of that bronco to see if they will reveal their secret I will keep ya’ll posted.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you can find the unicorn '74 steering wheel, you're in business. Maybe that's what the links show?
It's an early design wheel, but with the single horn trace rather than the doubles.

On the flip side of that, you could possibly change your turn signal switch from the later style to an early style. I don't know that this would work, but at least one member here went the opposite way and installed a later switch in place of his early switch. Seems I remember it pretty much bolted right in with just that little mod to accommodate the hazard switch out the side of the column.
Going the other way you'd end up with a hole there, but no interference.

Never tried it, but maybe it's an option.

Paul

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was just about to try this, I have the direct fit column and I want a stock steering wheel. But I guess the horn is the issue?

OP
OP
N

NickC24

Contributor
I wish someone would make a 14-15" wheel that looked just like this, I would be all over it.

I know, same here. I have talked to so many EB owners that want this combo. Maybe if we make enough noise the aftermarket parts vendors will take notice.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, the horn contact buttons that are integral to the turn signal switch come in two flavors. Early '66 to '73/'74 style (2 contacts) and late '74 to '77 style (1 contact).
Since the back of the steering wheel is where the horn circuits do their business, the wheel much match the type of turn signal switch. The change from two contacts (no horn relay under the hood) to the single contact (using a horn relay) was a running change sometime near the beginning of the '74 model year. So there are some '74 steering wheels with the early styling, but with the single trace of the later model wheels.

For a smaller wheel with a slightly larger ring (but with the later styling unfortunately) you can find those from a full-size truck of the late seventies. Just be sure it's got either one, or two traces to be sure that it fits your vintage of turn signal switch and number of horn contact buttons. Full size trucks of the later seventies came in both flavors because some used horn relays and some did not.

I think the cure, or proof of concept would be if someone has a later model column, or Direct Fit tilt column, and tries to retrofit an early turn signal switch. There have been those that put the later switch in earlier columns successfully, so it seems likely it can work both ways.

If you manage to do that with the early switch and early steering wheel, you can simply reconfigure the wiring of the new switch to work with a relay. That's an easy thing and probably should be on everyone's list of things-to-do if they have an early style system.
A horn relay does all kinds of good things to the early circuits. Helps the contacts last longer, makes it more reliable as far as keeping the horn working even at lower voltages if something happens, and best of all makes for a louder horn!
It also frees up the switch from over-use if you choose to use dual tone horns, or an air-horn with compressor.

Paul

OP
OP
N

NickC24

Contributor
Yes, the horn contact buttons that are integral to the turn signal switch come in two flavors. Early '66 to '73/'74 style (2 contacts) and late '74 to '77 style (1 contact).
Since the back of the steering wheel is where the horn circuits do their business, the wheel much match the type of turn signal switch. The change from two contacts (no horn relay under the hood) to the single contact (using a horn relay) was a running change sometime near the beginning of the '74 model year. So there are some '74 steering wheels with the early styling, but with the single trace of the later model wheels.

For a smaller wheel with a slightly larger ring (but with the later styling unfortunately) you can find those from a full-size truck of the late seventies. Just be sure it's got either one, or two traces to be sure that it fits your vintage of turn signal switch and number of horn contact buttons. Full size trucks of the later seventies came in both flavors because some used horn relays and some did not.

I think the cure, or proof of concept would be if someone has a later model column, or Direct Fit tilt column, and tries to retrofit an early turn signal switch. There have been those that put the later switch in earlier columns successfully, so it seems likely it can work both ways.

If you manage to do that with the early switch and early steering wheel, you can simply reconfigure the wiring of the new switch to work with a relay. That's an easy thing and probably should be on everyone's list of things-to-do if they have an early style system.
A horn relay does all kinds of good things to the early circuits. Helps the contacts last longer, makes it more reliable as far as keeping the horn working even at lower voltages if something happens, and best of all makes for a louder horn!
It also frees up the switch from over-use if you choose to use dual tone horns, or an air-horn with compressor.

Paul

Will the later model direct fit column fit in a 1970? And the only problem with the early model wheel fitting on that column is the horn contacts/relay? If that’s the case I might just forget the horn all together or is it possible to do a foot button or something.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Will the later model direct fit column fit in a 1970?

Yes. Physically their fitment to the body is the same. The differences, and the reason we don't officially list them as fitting the earlier models, is the reasons we've been discussing. Horn and hazard wiring.

You almost need a new lower shaft no matter what the application, but without any question a '72 and earlier model has to add a new lower shaft because those stock shafts are one piece from the steering wheel down to the steering box.

And the only problem with the early model wheel fitting on that column is the horn contacts/relay?

Yes. I don't see why you could not use any year Bronco steering wheel you choose, but you'd have to modify the horn contacts in order for them not to interfere either physically or electrically speaking.
Then eliminate the horn wiring from the connector.

If that’s the case I might just forget the horn all together or is it possible to do a foot button or something.

You can activate the horn any way you choose. The horn itself was not changed from probably the thirties to the current day for all I know. You just need a ground and a switched 12v signal.

Paul

OP
OP
N

NickC24

Contributor
Thank you so much Paul. I have already done the lower shaft cause i did the power steering conversion and I am doing an entire rewire so I will just account for a different horn location. This is great news. I am ordering today. I will keep you all posted.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't remember just what the deal was in those first images you posted, but did you notice that the steering wheel "bell" area looks smaller than the OD of the column housing?
Strange that it's not an exact fit.

Unless that's something that I missed and that the earlier model steering wheel (which normally does not get used with the Direct-Fit columns) is in fact slightly smaller diameter than a '75-'77 wheel? I never measured...

I wonder what the builder of that Bronco actually did. Did they eliminate the horn contacts? Did they replace the turn signal switch with an earlier style? Or did they happen to have a hen's-tooth-rare '74 steering wheel?
We may never know...;D

But be aware of that gappage at the wheel in case that would bother you knowing it was there.

Paul

Last edited:

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I've read this post several times .. & Haven't really understood it yet.
But I'll ask a few questions & I have a 1978 ford pickup steering column . It & the 78 & 79 Broncos both had tilt columns .& They can be adjusted to fit into our Classic Bronco.
Now I'm bot sure if OUR STEERING WHEELS will fit on the 78 & 79 columns .
But this might be an option . If your interested .