• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tilt Steering or No?

danbrunk

Hi all… looking for feedback of how you all like Tilt Steering versus sticking with stock? Need a new steering column and power steering package and need to decide. Column shift auto to a C4…daily driver not major off-to ader. Thanks!!

Rsmith

Hi all… looking for feedback of how you all like Tilt Steering versus sticking with stock? Need a new steering column and power steering package and need to decide. Column shift auto to a C4…daily driver not major off-to ader. Thanks!!
I also needed a new column (or choose not to rebuild my original) and went with the flaming river tilt for my 75. It’s nice but I don’t use the tilt feature and find I’m running it straight anyways. I don’t drive too far so maybe if I took a longer road trip I would find a use for another position. I guess I figured if I was replacing it, why not. I don’t regret spending the extra money for the tilt option.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I went with and I did it tilt column from wild horses. I don't anticipate the tilt feature will be very useful, but it's a huge improvement over the factory column.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have an IDIDIT tilt column in the hot rod Bronco in my avatar. It's a nice luxury. Was it worth the cost of the column? Eh, I probably would have been just as happy with a stock one, but wanted to splurge. If you don't mind spending the money and want a nice upgrade, do it.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I find a tilt column puts the wheel in a better position for ME. Everyone is different with this. I put a 70s GM column in and run a C4 as well. Mine is telescopic as well. Hooking up the wiring wasn't to big of a deal.

Wired it to flat tow at the same time. Hated dropping the driveline. In a pinch I can still use the bronco lights if I have a major trailer light failure.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I bought a nice tilt column from WH. I drive it a LOT and after setting it the first time I drove it I have never changed the setting- ever.

Take this the right way but unless you are 6'9" and a professional wrestler I really don't think you'll ever use it.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I have a Flaming River tilt column from Toms, been in about 15 years. I have a C4 and it works well. It helps as I have an old set of Beard Seats (gettin in) and out), and on long road trips I can change the wheel postion.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Z Bronco, with higher seat bolsters I would think it could make getting in & out easier??

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I use the tilt almost every time to get in and out. I like the wheel lower to get my arms in a more natural relaxed position. I need to raise it to pivot my leg under the wheel to slide out. If the column is straight it’s not an issue with a 14” steering wheel for me to get out. Getting in the wheel can be all the way down, easy getting in, getting out I find it very helpful. And I’ve shrunk to 5-10 and 200# if that helps.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm on my second Flaming River column in my Bronco - I use the tilt about every time I get in and out. And I'll admit I like the GM-based turn signal setup so no more broken turn signal cams.

First one had a bearing or two go bad.

Todd Z.

Last edited:

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I fabbed one in from an old T-bird in about '90 and mounted a small GT wheel on it. I keep mine tipped up but at 6'5" it gives me some additional leg room for getting in and out.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I have one as well and like it.

The only issue I have ever had was when offroading on a long downhill and find that the column will sometimes pop all the way up, which as you can imagine is a little scary !

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
as others have stated, definitely a mod that you will appreciate. Explore prices between the idiit and flaming river and make your choice from there

OP
OP
danbrunk

danbrunk

Thanks for all the feedback! Anyone like the Tom’s off-road ones??

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Stock column works fine for me. The only reason I have considered going to a newer column is to get a better blinker stalk and auto-shifter set up.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I spent most of November rebuilding the tilt column in my YJ. It's a GM tilt column with the integrated ignition switch. I had some not so fond memories of the broken plastic, damaged lock cylinders, stuck ignition switches, failed headlight dimmers, worn u-joint, and broken bells. The cost of a rebuilt column was over $700, and the cost of a good used column was over $350. I rebuilt my own using a Pick-N-Pull column from an S-10 and built some special tools to pull the hinge pins, and compress the lock plate. But after I was all done, I still had some little bits and pieces left over. Then I installed it in the Jeep, and exactly as @nvrstuk said...I never move it.

So I rebuilt my Bronco column and deleted the floor shift levers. It uses the factory Ford turn signal switch, and does not have a GM wiring connector. The horn works as intended, and does not require re-wiring. A standard Ford steering wheel fits, and an aftermarket wheel adapter is correct for my year, make and model Bronco. I guess that not too many people still have manual steering, and not too many people cut off their power steering belt and manually steer their Bronco to limp their way thru the Rubicon anymore. But I've done it, and I might have to do it again.

And it occurred to me how happy I was that I didn't have a tilt column in my Bronco. I'm not here to judge anyone for wanting to improve, upgrade, or tinker with their Bronco. But there is a reason why "Ididit" is so similar to "idiot."

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
I have the packaged Ididit tilt column kit from Wild Horses 4x4. I like it but turn signal stalk feels flimsy to me. I do use the tilt function getting in and out because my seats have high bolsters that make it difficult to climb in and out unless you drag across the bolster.