• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timing/Backfire

Red Bronco

Loc.
Los Angeles
I have a 302 with a new (3 months old) Edelbrock carbutator and a Mallory distributor (came with the truck no idea how old it is) few days ago a problem started when taking off from a stop when I step on the gas the engine would stamble, hesitate and backfire througt the mufler also when I shift from second to third gear and step on the gas... I did little adjusting on the timing and run with no porblems for a day or two ...today the same problem....adjust the time again and run OK.
I am thinking in replacing the distributor but before I do I would like your opinion... and if I have to change it any recommendations about distributors....Thank you

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
My 351C did the same thing and when I pulled the dist the gear on the the dist and the gear on the cam had eaten each other. Cross your fingers and pull the entire dist and hope thats not your problem.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds just like a friends '71 Buick before the timing chain finally jumped a tooth.

Pull the cap, leave the distributor in place.
With the truck out of gear (manual) reach down and turn the crank pulley back and forth. See how much backlash you have between the crank and the distributor. That is an indication of the timing chain.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I agree look at the timing chain. I swapped mine last summer and it really made a difference. Another thing. Have you checked out the carb? May have gotten something in the bowl. I would check the timing chain first and then if it all seems tight look to something in the carb....I know my Edelbrock gets a little tempermental.