• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timing Chain Help

jdeignan

Hey all,

Installing a new balancer and yanked the timing cover to inspect the chain.
No slack, and everything looks decent. Attached some pics for you opinions.

My issue: As you can see, the dots are not perfectly lined up at 6 and 12 oclock. I thought I found TDC before I ripped the cover off (using screw driver method and verified rotor was pointing at #1.

I would like to finish this job knowing EXACTLY where TDC is when I install the new balancer.. How do I proceed here?

A review of the questions:
1. Do you agree my timing chain looks good?
2. How can I align those dots/find TDC so I can accurately install new balancer?

Thanks!
Joe

Attachments

• 18B6A14B-C2D0-4631-9991-E57CA0D8CD2A.jpg
    18B6A14B-C2D0-4631-9991-E57CA0D8CD2A.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 17A0E374-3D5F-4679-A6D0-061BEF2ECA55.jpg
    17A0E374-3D5F-4679-A6D0-061BEF2ECA55.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 46

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, put the bolt back in the crankshaft and slowly turn clockwise until the dots are lined up. Anyway, the balancer is keyed to the crankshaft so you have no choice how it goes on. Good luck

OP
OP
jdeignan

jdeignan

Hi, put the bolt back in the crankshaft and slowly turn clockwise until the dots are lined up. Anyway, the balancer is keyed to the crankshaft so you have no choice how it goes on. Good luck

Figures it is that simple... Since I am not pulling the timing chain, I dont even need them aligned right?

-Any chance those dots could be incorrect, and off of TDC?
-Balancer is keyed.. hadnt thought through that! So if the markings dont line up, I just have to make my own TDC mark?

Sorry for the questions- Expanding my comfort zone here!

AZ73

Bronco Guru
Figures it is that simple... Since I am not pulling the timing chain, I dont even need them aligned right?

-Any chance those dots could be incorrect, and off of TDC?
-Balancer is keyed.. hadnt thought through that! So if the markings dont line up, I just have to make my own TDC mark?

Sorry for the questions- Expanding my comfort zone here!

You're way too focused on what you think your screwdriver told you was TDC. That method is usually used to get you into the ball park for your distributor timing. Once you rotate your crank CW to get the crank dot perfectly vertical, I'm betting the dots will line up. The new balancer is keyed to the crank and the crank is keyed to the dot so it's TDC will be perfect to the crank.

OP
OP
jdeignan

jdeignan

Fair enough. Just trying to rule out that maybe the PO installed the timing chain incorrectly?
Is that even possible?

Thanks
Joe

AZ73

Bronco Guru
Fair enough. Just trying to rule out that maybe the PO installed the timing chain incorrectly?
Is that even possible?

Thanks
Joe

Rotate the crank CW and take a picture. I'm betting by the looks of your first picture, and if your truck was running before you pulled the cover, there's no chance it's wrong, but rotate and see. Your crank looks about 20 degrees off and your cam looks about 10. Since it's a 1:2 ratio it'll line up when you turn it.

Attachments

• crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
jdeignan

jdeignan

Thanks. Uploaded. Looks like it aligns.

Might have lied about the slack.. think I should replace?
Video below:
https://vimeo.com/496479099

Attachments

• A6C2E2E8-CC6E-44FE-A182-F24A59CDD0C2.jpg
    A6C2E2E8-CC6E-44FE-A182-F24A59CDD0C2.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 22

AZ73

Bronco Guru
That slack is perfectly acceptable. If you put a new chain on it would look like that after 100 miles. It's also a double roller chain set so it's already upgraded.

Rightpace

Line the marks up and your crankshaft / balancer timing mark should be 0.
Distributor body rotation changes ignition timing not valve timing.