• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timing Cover

robertwhobrey

will a 1960's timing cover work on a 1996 302 motor going back to carburetor on motor it is off of a 96 f-150 pickup

one guy said yes..... another said for sure not because its a reverse flow ?

If Not Why ? Can it be done?.....Thanks much Bob

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yes. Just need to use an old water pump too. If you are looking to add a mechanical fuel pump you need to add the pump cam to the cam sprocket.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I used my 70 timing cover on a 97 5.0. I had to remove the dowels on the engine block. You may or may not have the same issue, but it's worth noting. You can either remove them or drill out your cover for the dowels.

The draw back to removing them is getting the cover just right so that it makes a good seal on the dampner.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The draw back to removing them is getting the cover just right so that it makes a good seal on the dampner.

Put the dampner on before tightening the bolts on the timing cover. It'll center the cover around the crankshaft.

toogrady

Yes. Just need to use an old water pump too. If you are looking to add a mechanical fuel pump you need to add the pump cam to the cam sprocket.

What can happen if you dont have a pump cam on the sprocket? or How would you know if I had one? If I threw a mech fuel pump timing cover on a newer crate motor, and if the pump was put in without one what would happen? Thanks :eek:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What can happen if you dont have a pump cam on the sprocket? or How would you know if I had one? If I threw a mech fuel pump timing cover on a newer crate motor, and if the pump was put in without one what would happen? Thanks :eek:

A '96 motor won't have a fuel pump cam. If you don't add it the pump won't workie.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I used a mechanical pump block off plate and put in an electric fuel pump.

Ask around on the forum, that's where I found mine.

toogrady

A '96 motor won't have a fuel pump cam. If you don't add it the pump won't workie.

ok good, cause I put that 351W crate motor in mine, started it up and had 90 plus psi oil pressure. All that I did was take the timing cover off my old 302, drilled the line up dowl out and slapped it on. the mech fuel pump worked, but I wanted to make sure there wasnt any relationship between the timing cover/fuel pump and high oil pressure. Sorry for the silly questions, but my learning curve is staight up right now. Oh and also sorry for the high jacking of this thread robert!