• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timken wheel bearings

johnbeck

I have inner and outer wheel bearings for my disc conversion on my 1973 bronco. The numbers on the Timken boxes are LM603049 and LM501349. I want to buy both as spares. On Amazon they list the same numbers but with additional numbers attached. Are they listing those additional numbers because they come with racers or what? Thanks

needsmoarturbo

Depends, the additional numbers are probably cones, but don't know without the exact numbers. Google is your friend.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Usually that is correct. So if the numbers are for instance, LM603049/LM603011 then those are cone/cup bearing/race combinations.

Paul

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cups and cones. You may as well carry a full set, as it doesn't take any additional space and if you trash a bearing somewhere, odds are the race and bearing need replacement. I've always had the misfortune of trashing the spindle and/or hub at the same time, so you're best bet to avoid ever needing a spare bearing is good preventative maintenance and quality wheel bearing grease IMO.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I've always had the misfortune of trashing the spindle and/or hub at the same time, so you're best bet to avoid ever needing a spare bearing is good preventative maintenance and quality wheel bearing grease IMO.

True words there!
And proper initial adjustment is often the key.
So if you're not sure about the correct procedure that's, as far as I know, relatively unique to the Dana 4wd axles, just ask. It's in the book too if you have a manual. Easy to do after the first time, but seems silly the first time you try it if you've spent much time adjusting old car wheel bearings.

Paul