• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timming advance - EFI on an old 302

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I have the 92 Mustang EFI on my old 302. The cam timing does not match the fuel injector order but it runs great.
I set my timing to 10 BTC like I am supposed to.

Normally advancing your timing a couple degrees will give you better performance but am I taking a risk when the injectors are not firing the same as the cam?

will 12 or 15 BTC hurt anything or am I risking an intake backfire?

Terkish

I would not mess with it. the computer will advance it on its own. I set my timing at the recamended 10 btc and then pluged in the spout. after driving it a few times i checked to see where it was at. found the computer already desided to advance it to 13 btc. unplug and it gose back to 10.
The computer will find where it is happy if everything is working right.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No risk of an intake backfire because the ignition timing is correct and sync'd to valve timing. 4 injectors may fire at the wrong time but it's no different than fuel coming out of a carb and sitting in the manifold for a few milliseconds. My EFI likes 14* of initial advance. Computer doesn't move the initial advance point around, it just decides how much to add to it under certain conditions.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Viper,
I bumped it to about 14 degrees and it seems to run very well. It bumped the idel up a bit but I am guessing it will settel down a bit after I put a few miles on it.