• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tintable raptor liner mixing warning

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After weeks of trying to find out what paint to use I was told by U-POl To use a quality automotive basecoat with no binders. He told me you can use paint with binders but it will not cure as hard and it will peel easier.

4lofun

ok,good luck.. I have used the UPOL nontintables 3x and love it, Use the sem tintable to with no problems ,too

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Ill be watching this! I used the black and loved it and want to do the tintable inside. Im not sure what "binders" are? Obviously there needed in o hold everything together on make it stick? The tec page just says to add basecoat. It does say some basecoats will perform better than others.

http://www.u-pol.com/documents/datasheets/tds/RLT-TDS-US.pdf

Maybe there just covering there butts against defects. They always seem to say one thing in there tec sheets but say another if you call them.

Is there a such thing as a basecoat without binders? I been using single stage paints so im sure they have binders in them? Some guys on here have tinted with single stage and they say it works great. Another guy said napa mixed him paint and left the binders out.

Last edited:

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I sprayed my 66 without using the binder. No issues thus far and I've dragged some stuff across the bed with no peeling.

I did take everything down to bare metal and spayed some self etch primer first

OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am not cutting down tintable raptor liner. I have 2 kits and I am about to use it . Just letting everyone know what I was told. you will get much better results with out binders in the paint .

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
So tell us how you get the paint without binders! Your leaving us in the dark. Normally i use PPG single stage. Do i have to get a special brand or certain kind or what?????

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I've used bot single stage and base coat to mix in the u_pol Raptor and both cme out fine. The biggest issue with not curing is temperature. The temp needs to be 75-80 for it to cure thoroughly. This is true witth most liners. It will cure as the summer comes around but don't damage it until then!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Some paint manufacturers you add the binder when you mix the base coat. Sherwin Williams and Dupont are two examples of base coat that the painter adds the binder. The paint I use Spies the binder is already in the can when it's mixed. I'm not 100% sure what the binder does but I think it controls the metallics and pearls??? If Limco doesn't have the binders already in the tints and the guy that mixed it didn't add the binder you should have no problems.

So with some brands you dont have a choice of leaving the binders out? I just called my jobber and he says with PPG its already in the paint with both the SS and the basecoat paints.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
That is correct bknbronco.

If you get your paint from a dedicated paint place, they should be able to tell you which ones do and don't have binders.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
After weeks of trying to find out what paint to use I was told by U-POl To use a quality automotive basecoat with no binders. He told me you can use paint with binders but it will not cure as hard and it will peel easier.

I just called Spies ( the paint I use) and they said binders and balancers are used to help with pigment and metallic suspension.

If U-POL says not to use binders then there is a very good reason not to. If there is a remote chance it will peel I wouldn't use a paint with a binder. The only way to fix a peeling liner would be to strip it out of the tub. That would not be a fun!

When you do get the paint without binder keep in mind when you order a pint you will get much less than a pint without the binder. Make sure they don't charge you for the binder. It's been years since I mixed any Dupont or Sherwin but the binder is the largest ingredient in the formula.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
The Raptor likely already has the binders and balancers needed in order to help suspend the solids it contains. You are then using your base like you would a tint when mixing colors, basically tinting a clear base that already contains everything a normal base contains.

Anyone know if metallics can be added to the tintable raptor liner?

OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can get you paint mixed without the binders-and it will take more tint (colors) to make a full pint or quart so they will charge you more. You cant just get less because you left out the binders you wont have enough ounces to do all the raptor bottles.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Anyone know if metallics can be added to the tintable raptor liner?

You can add any automotive paint, it just may not look the same. I have top coated raptor after it tacked up and it looks/works just fine.